Looking for espresso machine recommendations $2000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
monkeyboy

#1: Post by monkeyboy »

My criteria =
- Already have a Mazzer Major grinder
- Pourover
- 110v
- Currently have 2 espressos per day, I microwave my milk when needed. So I would use a milk frother if I had one. Wife will have an espresso occasionally - I think if I had the capabilities, she would also enjoy a milk based drink each day.
- Prefer 'ease of use' without alot of fanfare.
- Don't require the perfect shot each and every time, I don't mind some inconsistency.
- Prefer something reliable and easy to service when necessary.

My short list includes:
- Quickmill Alexia with (Single Boiler) PID $1,510
- Quickmill Anita (HX) $1,595
- Faema Carisma (HX) <my favorite on paper - but concerned about reliability / quality> $1,550
- Vibiemme Domobar Super (HX) $1,599
- Quickmill QM67 (Dual Boiler) $1,995

Others to consider or which type should I focus on (single boiler, dual boiler, HX?)

thanks

UPDATE: Increased budget to $2000, see this post below for the new candidate list.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Ease of use leads me to the Alexia or a dual boiler. I've never used the qm67 but the Vetrano 2b is great.

Hx might work after you get a flush routine down but I heard back to back drinks can be tricky on the machines you mentioned. I would avoid the faema as all I've heard are bad things and it's a 1.0 release. I don't think the domobar would work well in a 15a circuit either. Unless you have very good voltage.

Dooglas

#3: Post by Dooglas »

If milk drinks are a priority for you, I would drop the single boiler Alexia from your list. I am a fan of the VBM machines. I own the Domobar Junior which is rated at 1600 watts as is the Super. I have had no problems with it on a standard kitchen 115 V outlet

monkeyboy (original poster)

#4: Post by monkeyboy (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback - reading up a bit more on the Vibiemme Domobar machines...look really good.

#5: Post by monkeyboy (original poster) »

New short list after additional research
Needs = Pourover, Max Height of 16", reliability, relative ease of use, ability to be futureproof as I'm sure my wife will want milk based drinks after she finds out I spent $2k on an espresso machine, good looks.

All are HX, Vibratory, 16" or less in height, good lookers, capacities are about the same except for the Vibiemme which is a bit less.

1. ECM Barista $1,900 Stainless Steel Boiler. 1st line
2. Rocket Celini $1,850 Nickle Plated Copper Boiler, PID. Chris Coffee
3. Profitec Pro 500 $1,800 Stainless Steel Boiler. Whole Latte love
4. Vibiemme Domobar Jr $1,370 Copper Boiler. Boiler and reservoir capacity is half of the others. 1st Line

Leaning towards Profitec Pro 500 and ECM Barista as my frontrunners...thoughts?

Beenbag

#6: Post by Beenbag »

Go to a good retailer store and " get your hands on them"...!
..it's the only realistic way, ...and take the lady along if you want a happy life in the future.. She has to like it too.(even if it's only visually)
Don't be surprised if you find many other options once you see a decent selection in the flesh.

malling

#7: Post by malling »

The Profitec and ECM are from what i Have heard, produced on the same factory, so the differences between the two are less then other brands.

ECM heidelberg is just a brand, they don't own their own Factory, so they get the Company behind Profitec among others to produce it for them.

So if you Can get the Profitec cheaper and with Stainless steel boilers, then it's an easy choice.

#8: Post by monkeyboy (original poster) »

As with most things, I am drawn to the more expensive models:

- All of these can fit under my cabinet.
- Decided to plumb in water and will do some kind of filtration in-line. Like to have the reservoir option for ease of descaling later.

- Might as well go for the Rotary pump vs Vibration as it will be in the open - only a few hundred difference.

ECM Technika IV Profi Switchable
$2,400
+ Very high quality look, seems to have top notch internals, joystick controls. 1400 watt Stainless Steel boiler

Rocket Celini Evoluzione v2
$2,200
+ A bit wider than the others, 1200 watt Nickle Plated Copper boiler

Bezzera Mitica
$1,900
+ Seems pretty similar to the ECM with the joystick controls, have not seen the internals on this model though. 1450 watt Copper boiler. Is the ECM worth the extra $500?
$1,900

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

For the price range of the machines you listed, I would toss in the dual boilers: QM vetrano 2b and the izzo duetto 3 as something to consider. Unless you have settled on a HX machine.

#10: Post by monkeyboy (original poster) »

Thanks Brianl
The Dual Boilers I have seen are a bit too tall for my needs - I need it to fit under a cabinet that has 16 1/4" clearance (space under the cabinet has another 2" of clearance once past the 'lip'). Most of the HX come in around 15" to 16", Dual Boilers seem to be closer to 16" to 17".

I am fine with HX.