Looking for the best manual grinder to use with Elektra Microcasa a Leva

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
andpgud

#1: Post by andpgud »

Looking for the best manual grinder to use with my MCAL.

What would you recommend?

bas

#2: Post by bas »

A Lido E or Hausgrind would be okay. Same for Bravo Mini.

Or a Pharos if you can be happy with the ergonomics.

Or a HGOne, Mahlgut or Bravo Debut would be great.

Advertisement
X-Berg

#3: Post by X-Berg »

I used the HG-One and this grinder is really great.
LMWDP #538

deegee

#4: Post by deegee »

I have an old MCAL and a couple of manual grinders, but I can't recommend either of them. Spring lever machines need a fine grind and fine adjustments to get the right pour.

My Hario Skerton will grind fine enough, but at fine settings it is a bit slow, and quite hard work. You need fairly strong hands and wrists. Also, the adjustment steps are coarse, and it goes from spot on to a gusher in just one notch.

I also have one of the new ROK grinders, and it just will not grind fine enough for espresso. I have actually had two, and they were both hopeless. When the first one gave me 15 second blonde gushers on it's finest setting I complained and the local agent replaced it, but the second one is no better. Some buyers report that they can grind espresso with them, but a lot of users just can't get them to grind fine enough. Seems to be a bit of a lottery, and you need to be lucky to get a good one, so I give them a big thumbs down!!.

Sorry I can't give a positive suggestion, but at least you can make a more informed choice knowing what to expect from the Hario, and what not to buy.

rittem1

#5: Post by rittem1 »

Since you asked for the best and didn't put a price range I would go with the HG-One. Personally, I use the Hausgrind because for the money it is awesome and extremely portable. Best belongs to the HG-One.
LMWDP #517

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

Another vote for the HG-1. I use one with my MCAL and love the results and the ergonomics.
LMWDP #435

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

The HG-One is a very nice hand grinder. That's what I use at home.

Based on your location, you might also want to check out the Made By Knock grinders (hausgrind and feldgrind):

http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html

The Mahlgut is another option:

http://mahlgut.eu/mahlgut-mg-1-details/

If shopping in the US is easier than the EU, the Pharos or Lido E grinders will work:

http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual ... s_c_1.html

Any of these precision hand grinders are up to the task of grinding for espresso for an MCAL. The "best" grinder for your purposes is a pretty subjective exercise based on how you prioritize: budget, ergonomics, size, finish, etc.

(See also the Buy/Sell forum for used HG-One and used Pharos listings.)

Advertisement
summer

#8: Post by summer »

Portaspresso Rosco/Rosco Mini are great grinders as well.
If you want to use the grinder for espresso with light roasted beans, take the grinder with most stability, as the beans are hard. Tube-form grinders can be hard to hold when grinding light roast for espresso - I would take the HGOne, and mount it.

andpgud (original poster)

#9: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

I like the mahlgut.
Any experience with it?

andpgud (original poster)

#10: Post by andpgud (original poster) »

Also can Lido 2 work with the Mcal?
I am just starting to get into this as I finally fixed my machine so price is a factor