Londinium I compared to La Marzocco GS/3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
docdvm

#1: Post by docdvm »

I am considering selling my GS# and getting a Londinium I . Nothing wrong with the GS3 as it produces consistent and excellent results. Have not been using it much and miss the Lever since selling my Cremina. Does anyone have experience with both? I am hoping that I do not regret my decision. Bought a used Toper from Toronto and can apply funds towards that purchase so foes that make any sense? I always considered the GS3 as the best roaster that I could ever have. I now wonder whether the Londinium with the Bosco head might suit me fine making 2 or 3 drinks a day.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

PM Stephen Sweeney (Fotondrv). He had a GS3 MP and sold it to replace it with a Londinium I. I don't know anyone that went from the GS3 AV to an L1.
Merle

Mrboots2u

#3: Post by Mrboots2u »

Also PM coffeechap on here ( although he is more active on uk forums )
He has a Londinium and a gs3

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgwolf »

You could look for another Cremina and have it both ways. Probably cheaper than the other options.

vberch

#5: Post by vberch »

I don't have a Londinium 1. I have its close relative, its inspiration if you wish, a vintage Faema Lambro. Prior to the Lambro I had a La Marzocco GS/3 and La Cimbali Junior S1. It is a given that all of these machines are capable of delivering great shots. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. Since I enjoy having full control of preinfusion and pressure during the shot, I greatly prefer the Lambro. I also very much enjoy the esthetics and simplicity of a full commercial lever.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

I have had both at the same time. The GS3 produces good shots when it is dialed in properly. The L-I produces good shots too and there is far less to go wrong with the L-I. Look under the hood of both of them and see if you can understand what is going on and why.

With the GS3 you can change most parameters from the PID (provided you can figure it out) and with the L-I the only thing to tweak is the Pstat.

I sold the GS3 and kept the L-I.

That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

docdvm (original poster)

#7: Post by docdvm (original poster) »

Interesting post FotonDrv as I also have a Versalab grinder and the GS3. I too enjoyed the simplicity of the Lever and the taste in the cup. I also very much like the GS3 as I get excellent results with it. Truly I believe that the Versalab made the most difference in consistency and taste. I like the fact that the GS3 can put out consistent results cup after cup and if I had a larger family or entertained a lot, I certainly would appreciate what the GS3 can do. But my family is small , my daughter in law and and I are the espresso drinkers, and we do not entertain much. My wife fell ill so I am looking to make the best of it. I cannot afford to have multiple machines and see that there is equity in the GS3 that could be put to use in a Roaster, which , makes the most difference in the cup.
So if I was to sell the GS3 and get a Strega would there be the same satisfaction as getting a Londinium? I could save another $1000 with the Strega. I know this has been discussed in other forums and there truly is no consensus, depends on personal preference I guess. Are there other options I am missing?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by FotonDrv »

I would stick with the L-I. The Strega has more stuff to go wrong than the L-I. Keep It Simple is my motto and it has stood me well for the last 50 years of modifying and designing things. The Strega uses a pump regardless.

I sold the GS3 to get another metal lathe AND a Quest M3 roaster so I got a win all around.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

boar_d_laze

#9: Post by boar_d_laze »

FotonDrv wrote:The L-I produces good shots too and there is far less to go wrong with the L-I. Look under the hood of both of them and see if you can understand what is going on and why.
A lot of people talk about simplicity as longevity when they compare lever to pump machines. Unfortunately it's one of those judgments which ought to be true, but turns out misleading. From a systems standpoint they're about equally complicated.

A lever has wear prone parts in places a pump machine doesn't even have places. I'd rather wrench an old pump out and a new one in than tear down and rebuild a lever group to replace a pin or seal.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

day

#10: Post by day »

Pump vs seal seems dramatic....the seals would certainly be cheaper:)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone