LIDO E or 64 mm flat burr grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

What do you guys think i should do?

Im curious to try conical burrs and i want to get rid of my massive 64 mm flat grinder

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

I run a first gen lido 2 with my travel La Pavoni and ran it for a long time daily with my home pavoni. Works just fine for two hundred bucks. I am not familiar with you electric and I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable. That said its 200, in grinder shopping that is peanuts. You can save it as a travel grinder, pourover or eBay if you don't like it. Depends what your expectations are...

It will add some work to your espresso and hand grinding is not for everyone. As Doug says in one of his videos , you hear the grinding of the beans, the smells and then it's over too quickly. If that does not appeal keep the flats :).

Edit: Wait I do have 64 or close, 63.5 on my pavoni zip and 56 on my MSC. I don't miss using them as they sit in the corner of my dining room floor since the lido and the pharos entered.

JFDUP (original poster)

#3: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

My current grinder is a LA San Marco SM 90. Do you see a big difference between your lido and the pharos?

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm replying to JFDUP »

Lots of threads here on both. Please search but you could read for months.

Lido I have the first gen, love the ergonomics, no experience with new burr though I am guessing it does fine, and the e version has finer adjustment. The lido 2 was our go to grinder since it came out.

Pharos, fantastic, ergonomics suck. Two bench dogs with it and you are set. Quite a few mods available. Not very portable compared to lido series. Break in is brutal but I smooths out after that, I use it daily 3-6 shots a day depending.

JFDUP (original poster)

#5: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I think I've made up my mind to replace my 64 mm flat burr grinder with the Lido E. The shipping charge from OE to Canada is extremely high so I'd like to find a used one to save little bit it of money, but they're hard to find.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

The fact they are very hard to find used tells you that the Lido E is meeting or exceeding the buyers expectations. I have a Lido-2 from the first batch with the aggressive burrs and a Lido E from the first or early batch sold here, both are exceeding expectations. I also have Pharos 997 with some of my own mods and the VooDooDady catch can mod. The Pharos ergonomics are fine considering the HP rating of most electric grinders. If you want to switch grinds on a daily basis then having more than a single dedicated grinder is suggested for convenience.

JFDUP (original poster)

#7: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Well I just bought the lido e. I'll do some comparison between the lido and my own grinder soon!

I'd like to hear of other owner's comparison with their electrical grinder

OldNuc

#8: Post by OldNuc »

It is all a matter of highly subjective personal opinion. Just a helpful hint, do not immediately decide to take the grinder apart as it will likely end up just like that wind up alarm clock you dismantled many years ago. :wink: These things have to break in and that takes time. Now if the USPS carefully recalibrated the grinder for you that is a different matter. So far on Lido shipments I am 2 for 2 on gratis re-cal courteously of the USPS.

JFDUP (original poster)

#9: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Good to know. I'm hoping that shipping to Canada will go well.

forbeskm

#10: Post by forbeskm »

OldNuc wrote:It is all a matter of highly subjective personal opinion. Just a helpful hint, do not immediately decide to take the grinder apart as it will likely end up just like that wind up alarm clock you dismantled many years ago. :wink: These things have to break in and that takes time. Now if the USPS carefully recalibrated the grinder for you that is a different matter. So far on Lido shipments I am 2 for 2 on gratis re-cal courteously of the USPS.
X2, opinion and needs/requirements/tastes differ widely from person to person, use it for a bit and if you are like me you'll kick your electric to the side. But then again most people aren't like me so you may favor a more hybrid approach. I like that both the pharos and the lido's don't hold much extra grind like my electrics (not high end).