LIDO 2 vs Baratza Vario for Aeropress and Clever? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wacomme (original poster)

#31: Post by wacomme (original poster) »

From what I've read thus far:

- Lido 2 has slightly better grind consistency than Hausgrind (and better flavor). Lido 2 and Rosco are tied.
- Hausgrind is easier to use than Lido 2
- Lido 2 is faster than Hausgrind
- Rosco is easy to use like the Hausgrind and has grind consistency/taste like Lido 2, but it's very pricey.
Michael

drgary
Team HB

#32: Post by drgary »

For someone into bicycle time trials, the Rosco may remind you of the finest machined parts on your gear. I haven't seen one but they're well reviewed, and at this point you're comparing three very competent grinders.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#33: Post by TomC »

wacomme wrote:From what I've read thus far:

- Lido 2 has slightly better grind consistency than Hausgrind (and better flavor). Lido 2 and Rosco are tied.
- Hausgrind is easier to use than Lido 2
- Lido 2 is faster than Hausgrind
- Rosco is easy to use like the Hausgrind and has grind consistency/taste like Lido 2, but it's very pricey.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement that the Rosco tastes like the Lido 2. It uses the same burrs as the Hausgrind and Lido 1, it might taste more in line with those two.

I've been using both Hausgrinds for quite a while now on a daily basis, and they just keep getting easier and easier to use. I'd happily pay another $100 at this point to have a Hausgrid with the larger 40mm burrs in the Lido 2. The Lido 2 is just remarkable in its grind consistency. But in the bigger scope of things, it's not like the Hausgrind vs Lido 2 taste tests were very far apart at all. It was a hairsbreath apart.

The funny thing is, I don't mind hand grinding at all for my drip brews. I just refuse to do it with my espresso (I'm lazy with the HG-One, it's great, but..._) so if I were back at square one, I'd have a Lido2 sitting on my counter as my daily go to drip brew grinder instead of the endless list of massive grinders I've owned and currently own. I wouldn't travel with it (Lido 2), I think it's just too heavy.

The Hausgrind is just too easy, lightweight and awesome to ingore as a portable grinder.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

RioCruz

#34: Post by RioCruz »

TomC wrote:I wouldn't travel with it (Lido 2), I think it's just too heavy.

The Hausgrind is just too easy, lightweight and awesome to ingore as a portable grinder.
Ah yes...a timely remark! Since getting my HG-One I have been totally spoiled for anything less than the taste it gives me. On our recent trip to Guatemala...and other places...I relied on my little Porlex grinder. But damn! That thing just no longer gives me what I have grown accustomed to tasting in the cup with the HG-One. So I was thinking of getting a Lido 2 as my travel grinder. But...weight can be an issue, to be sure, and I had forgotten all about the Hausgrind. So thanks for that timely reminder. I may still get the Lido 2, but will give a diligent look at the Hausgrind again.
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

#35: Post by wacomme (original poster) »

Given the choice, would you choose the Hausgrind or LIDO 2, and why?
Michael

TomC
Team HB

#36: Post by TomC »

RioCruz wrote:Ah yes...a timely remark! Since getting my HG-One I have been totally spoiled for anything less than the taste it gives me. On our recent trip to Guatemala...and other places...I relied on my little Porlex grinder. But damn! That thing just no longer gives me what I have grown accustomed to tasting in the cup with the HG-One. So I was thinking of getting a Lido 2 as my travel grinder. But...weight can be an issue, to be sure, and I had forgotten all about the Hausgrind. So thanks for that timely reminder. I may still get the Lido 2, but will give a diligent look at the Hausgrind again.
wacomme wrote:Given the choice, would you choose the Hausgrind or LIDO 2, and why?
Whats wrong with having both?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#37: Post by wacomme (original poster) replying to TomC »

The price, and I really don't need two manual coffee grinders.

Is it really just a toss-up?
Michael

drgary
Team HB

#38: Post by drgary »

TomC wrote:... in the bigger scope of things, it's not like the Hausgrind vs Lido 2 taste tests were very far apart at all. It was a hairsbreath apart.

... if I were back at square one, I'd have a Lido2 sitting on my counter as my daily go to drip brew grinder instead of the endless list of massive grinders I've owned and currently own. I wouldn't travel with it (Lido 2), I think it's just too heavy.

I believe Tom has answered you. For grind quality they are "a hairsbreath apart." That sounds like a tossup. For his daily drip grinder he prefers the LIDO 2. For travel he prefers the Hausgrind and he likes other features of the Hausgrind too.

Here's an editorial comment, not for the OP alone. People often overthink their gear selection instead of getting something good and learning how to maximize its potential.

You could flip a coin and get a Hausgrind or a LIDO 2. Either way you won't go wrong.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#39: Post by wacomme (original poster) replying to drgary »

I'm just going to buy the Lido 2 and wait for its arrival in September. My wife gave me an old Starbucks Barista blade grinder to try an appease me interest in wanting a grinder. I guess I'll use that grinder until the LIDO 2 arrives; it should be better than buying pre-ground coffee.
Michael

beer&mathematics

#40: Post by beer&mathematics replying to wacomme »

You could get a Hario Skerton for under $32 with free shipping (aside: wow these are cheap now!) drip needs in the meantime. If you want, you can make it more stable with the OE kit for $14.50. Although the Skerton grinds slow, it is quite pleasant experience. You will truly appreciate the engineering that went into the Lido2 (when it arrives) after a few months with the Skerton.

This will be much smoother than a blade chopper.
LMWDP #431