Lever hunt

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
gowyn

#1: Post by gowyn »

So after picking up the HG-ONE I'm now on the hunt for a lever machine.

I'm enjoying the "analog" experience.

So right now I'm using a Profitec Pro 700 which is great! No complaints at all but I'm toying with the idea of running a lever.

I'm considering the Londinium 1 but the vibe pump has me slightly concerned, no particular reason but after my dual boiler/rotary pump I kinda see it as a downgrade. Silly I know because it's actually doing a different job. Why is there no insulation on the tank? Seems like everyone else makes a great marketing point about this.

I've looked into the Bosco which seems really nice and old school but another option I came across is a used Bezzera B2000AL. Haven't seen it yet but from what I can see it seems like a great machine in great condition.

Right now I'm running off 110v and built in tank but I plan on running 240v and hard plumbed so the used commercial is still viable.

So I guess what I'm asking is which machine? Right now I only "pull" 3-4 shots a day and I leave it on 24hours. The Bezzera is a 2 group 11l boiler, way overkill but priced around the same as a new Londinium and $1000 less than a Bosco.

Séb

#2: Post by Séb »

You can also check the Salvatore Compact Spring Lever made in the US by Salvatore. $2400usd. It is a great machine, but two springs in the group compare to a single spring on the Londinium. I love theses commercial spring lever plumb in machine and i think you made a good decision and it will be a nice setup with an HG-One.

Also, if you buy the plumb-in kit with the L1 you will not use any pump.

caddderly

#3: Post by caddderly »

Love, love, love my Bosco. I also considered the L1 and am very glad I held out for the Bosco. It's a beautiful machine, elegant in its simplicity and is a hand-made work of functional art. Mine is 110v, which is just fine as I leave it on 24/7. No vibe pump, silent, plumbed in and out. The size of the machine is a plus to me, may be a negative to some. I love the size and workspace of the drip tray. L1 would be way too cramped for my liking.

Personally, I love handmade things and enjoy them more. They've been building the same machine for 50 years. It's like getting a Model T handmade by Henry Ford.

Matt

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

gowyn wrote: So I guess what I'm asking is which machine? Right now I only "pull" 3-4 shots a day and I leave it on 24hours. The Bezzera is a 2 group 11l boiler, way overkill but priced around the same as a new Londinium and $1000 less than a Bosco.
That Bezzera looks to be using their version of the older, smaller group that Bosco & others moved away from in late 2010. Having owned a Bezzera lever (Strega) I can say that I am much, much happier with the shots that I get from my Bosco.

Bosco will build you a machine in either 120v or 230/240v so no need to upgrade the household wiring unless you want to.

Each Bosco incorporates everything Senor Bosco & his staff have learned about building levers since he started the shop in 1960. The machines are constantly evolving internally & are built to stand up to all day use in a busy cafe. I believe that they are the only company that's currently using that large group that installs a 4 seal piston & silicone seals. I'd consider it a definite step up from either of the other two machines that you are considering.
LMWDP 267

gowyn (original poster)

#5: Post by gowyn (original poster) »

Been in contact with Bosco and am really liking what I'm hearing. Almost like ordering a Porsche, everything is optional so truly a custom built machine.

Quite excited about it.

A Bosco may very well be the last machine I order, especially if it's that custom but for now I'm still considering the used Bezz, it's the B2000AL pre 2004 I believe whatever that means.