Lever espresso machine vs. La Spaziale dual boiler questions

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Frenchman

#1: Post by Frenchman »

I am looking at getting a new machine. I've always thought I wanted a dual boiler and liked the La Spaziale Mini, but am wondering about a lever like the Londinium (scope and budget creep) or the Strega... I have a couple of questions:
1. I am assuming that steam is always on in a Londinium/Strega, and since there does not seem to be any need to temperature surf or flush, from a practical perspective it would get a milk drink as quickly as a dual boiler?
2. Can someone recommend a place with good baristas in the Seattle area that has a commercial lever machine? We see a lot of beautiful Slayers, Mistrals, etc. here and I do not remember ever seeing a lever.
3. (I know, more than a couple.) The Londinium seems to come as either a 1400 W USA model (15A I assume) or a 2400 W model for other places. What are people using in the USA, and is there an advantage to try and make the 2400 W model work here (my espresso outlet circuit is 20A, but still 110-120V, I didn't double those up).

Thanks!
LMWDP #712

joanes

#2: Post by joanes »

Hi
I had a spaz until 3 months ago, and now a londinium.
I can't answer for II and III, but regarding steaming, there is no difference in the steaming capacity between the spaz and the L1. At this level, it all boils down to personal skills rather than machine design.
I still haven't found the little 'je ne sais quoi' required to master the L1 steam wand, but this is more an acclimatization issue than something on the machine side. New orders of the L1 will be fitted with a newer steam wand, which might be just the last trick the machine needs.

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

For in home (non commercial) North America use the 110v variant is all one needs (no issues on 15a circuit).

I use the two hole steam tip and it allows complete control and quick easy steaming of my ~100ml of milk; nice textured microfoam...even while the shot is being pressed.
No Espresso = Depresso

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

Frenchman wrote: 2. Can someone recommend a place with good baristas in the Seattle area that has a commercial lever machine? We see a lot of beautiful Slayers, Mistrals, etc. here and I do not remember ever seeing a lever.

Thanks!
Monsieur,

probably no. Here is a thread (EDIT:URL repaired - thanks for pointing out the error folks) that failed to answer that question to satisfaction. If you find one please let us know. You might check with Cafe Vita about whether they have a Bosco like I've seen them use at Coffeefest in use somewhere.

de rien,

Flint
LMWDP #198

Frenchman (original poster)

#5: Post by Frenchman (original poster) »

joanes wrote: I had a spaz until 3 months ago, and now a londinium.
What made you change? What difference can you see in both operation and in the cup?
LMWDP #712

Frenchman (original poster)

#6: Post by Frenchman (original poster) »

Merci Flint. Your link can't be followed (I get an "Information... This thread is old and does not accept comments."). You could maybe give me a search query that would bring it up? Merci !
LMWDP #712

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I imagine the link is to the following thread:

Seattle Cafes with Levers
-Chris

LMWDP # 272