Large batch commercial grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
weavdaddy

#1: Post by weavdaddy »

Hi folks, I apologize if this information exists somewhere already. I waded through many search results but didn't get an answer to the following question:

Is there a grinder that you (as discerning grinder experts) could recommend for a small commercial business? We're not talking hundreds of pounds (at least not to start) but possibly dozens a week.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Espresso or brew grinder?

weavdaddy (original poster)

#3: Post by weavdaddy (original poster) »

Touche...I don't suppose there is one that will do an adequate job at both? If a choice must be made it would be a brew grinder based on projected volume.

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

EK43. Use it regularly double duty, make that triple duty: grinding customer bag-o-beans when requested, pour over grinding, and occasional EK43 shots light roasted coffees. Today handled biggest task thrown at it so far: grinding 275 1/2lb bags (auto-drip) custom customer order. Today was also the first time the EK43 motor got warm to the touch, it did get a work out! :shock:

Edit: with the caveat when grinding 5lb bag (which I do on a regular basis for a couple restaurant accounts) hopper isn't big enough for all 5lb beans at once.

Also FWIW takes ~45 seconds to coarse grind 2.5lb for our 5gal cold brew batches.
Mike McGinness

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

weavdaddy wrote:Touche...I don't suppose there is one that will do an adequate job at both? If a choice must be made it would be a brew grinder based on projected volume.
I just picked up a Grindmaster 890 used for $300. Supposedly is has a Mahlkonig burr set. Not the same as the EK43, but not $2300 either. It is wonderful for everything except espresso. Although after fine-tuning it, I'm getting 36g pulls from 18g doses in 25 seconds. A little fast, but not much.

Ellejaycafe

#6: Post by Ellejaycafe »

You can always make a bunzilla too (search the forums).

They are ridiculous and you can have one done for pretty cheap usually. I love mine.
LMWDP #544

Bob_M

#7: Post by Bob_M »

I second the Bunnzilla. A Bunnzilla is now easier to build than before as Mill City Roasters now offers the Ditting burrs with a press fitted top burr conversion.

https://millcityroasters.com/shop/cuppi ... -aluminum/

Bodka Coffee

#8: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I have a grindmaster and use it for brewed coffee but not for espresso. I can take 10 lbs of coffee in a bag and stick opening of bag in hopper and grind it all. Works great.

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Bodka Coffee »

Which Grindmaster has a 10lb hopper?
Mike McGinness

Ellejaycafe

#10: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to Compass Coffee »

I think he's saying he puts the bag open in the hopper so gravity keeps drawing beans from the bag into the hopper. I don't think any hopper is ten lbs! That would be nuts.
LMWDP #544