La San Marco SM90

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

What do you guys think of this grinder? I have access to one at a reasonable price. It has massive burrs (64mm) and looks to be built quite well.

I can't seem to find a lot of information on it online.

Any comments?

Thanks!

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I had one briefly a few years ago, but it was a bit too big for our counter. It is a tank, but is a good grinder. Burrs were available then. If I recall, it is stepped. What is the asking price for you?
Scott
LMWDP #248

JFDUP (original poster)

#3: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

I found one for $390 in excellent condition. I've seen the burrs online for about $45.

The grinder was owned by an individual making 2-3 coffees a day so not in a commercial setting.

JF

jpboyt

#4: Post by jpboyt »

Interesting grinder in that the motor armature does not go through the center of the rotating burr holder. There is a small aluminum casting with a pair of, gonna say 6201, bearings that hold a small stub shaft that the rotating burr holder mounts to. The RPM branded motor drives the stub shaft via a coil spring with a tang on each end. Top bearing in motor is ball and the lower is bushed. I have burrs that are a step up from the $45 version if you are interested in taking a peek at my web site. Decent grinder although a bit dated in styling. In theory it should be a bit quieter than say a SJ as the motor hangs by the stub mount and a cross bracket at the bottom. Motor vibration is well isolated from the grinder exterior.
jpboyt

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

For those who are interested, JFDUP has posted a similar thread on CoffeeGeek here. For future reference, please do not cross-post questions to HB. Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? elaborates on the rationale behind this policy. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

Gig103

#6: Post by Gig103 replying to HB »

It appears to me that JF posted a general grinder advice thread on CG and here was asked specifically about the San Marco.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

If you check the timestamps, you'll note JFDUP was posting minutes apart on essentially the same subject. We discourage that practice. I elaborated on this point in Forum etiquette and cross-posting:
HB wrote:In my opinion, most cross-posters aren't searching for more diverse opinions or consensus, they simply want an answer to their question quickly with minimal effort. By directing their question to as many people as possible, they hope to reduce their wait time, even if it wastes the time of others. On the other hand, if a cross-poster posted to one site and then posted a summary of the responses on a second site to gather more opinions, they'd get better answers and "raise the discussion level" for all participants. But that rarely happens.
Dan Kehn

JFDUP (original poster)

#8: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Grinder came in last night. Took me a while to get the settings right, but I think I'm going to like it. It's massive, but so powerful.

Now I really want to compare the performance/taste with what I can get from my Rocky.

JF