La San Marco 85 Flexa E

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
maxwerks

#1: Post by maxwerks »

I wonder if anyone has looked into the La San Marco series 85 Flexa E.. or can someone guide me to a review of that machine .
http://www.segafredo.com.au/san-marco-85-flexa
It seems that it is a dual boiler machine , BUT it is pour over one with an onboard water reservoir and two VIBE pump .. it seems a shame that a machine like that is offered with a Vibe pump and there is no info about it if it can be converted to a direct water hook up .. but from the specs it seems like a worthy machine .

soonerspresso

#2: Post by soonerspresso »

If you're looking for a La San Marco with a rotary pump and a direct water hook up, you should be looking at the San Marco 85 E or 85 S. They are listed as being "commercial" machines, but, they both have the SAME FOOTPRINT (same dimensions) as the Flexa E that you're looking at (basically, the Flexa E is WAY too big to be reasonably considered a standard "home" machine, despite the pour-over feature). From what I understand (and, I could be wrong ...), the Flexa E is LSM's attempt to do something that LOOKS like a home machine. The reality is that it is a variation on their standard 85E and 85S machines. I wouldn't waste my time with the Flexa E, esp. if you're actually looking for the rotary pump/plumbed in features. The difference in price -- $600-800 -- doesn't seem like it is worth it. The size of all three of these machines is 380mm X 545mm X 470mm ... which is big, any way you slice it (I should know, I am currently rebuilding an 85S for my home and it is going to be a serious "item" in the kitchen when it is done!).

I see you're listed as "Miami, FL" ... not sure if you're looking for this in the U.S., but, to my knowledge, the main distributor/contact for La San Marco is Michaelo's in the U.S. (www.michaelo.com) ... and, no, I'm not affiliate with Michaelo's! :D

Good luck!

maxwerks (original poster)

#3: Post by maxwerks (original poster) »

Thank you for your kind response , I totally agree with you ... the ONLY feature i thought was worthy feature to me was the dual boiler feature for temperature stability and control . I am keeping the LSM as an option , I am currently refurbishing an Astoria Argenta Junior which is still a big machine for the home, nonetheless relatively OK on a kitchen counter .. never used the argenta before but I am intrigued .. I am outboarding the pump now , hopefully inserting an in line delay relay ( Pre Infusion ) and hopefully the results are going to be worth the work ! Regards, Max

AdrianN

#4: Post by AdrianN »

I purchased the La San Marco 85 Flexa E exactly for the pour over/internal tank feature, which I find to be extremely important in a home/office environment. The Flexa has in-tank cationic resin filters while a direct water hook-up commercial machine would require a water outlet located close to the machine location plus space for the rather ample standalone cationic resin filter that has to be used with a rotary pump.

Of course, if you're making hundreds of espresso on a daily basis, such a large filter would be required anyway, since the Flexa's rather small in-tank filters would be depleted in a heart beat. But for a light (home or office) use I'd take the Flexa over a regular LSM 85 any day.