La pavoni pw-16 - has anyone used one?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
srevli

#1: Post by srevli »

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with the La Pavoni PW-16?

I discovered it by chance while browsing Amazon and I am guessing it is a newer offering as I can only find one review for it.

It looks to be a lower end machine for La Pavoni. It has a plastic body, so I assume this is part of the reason it is less expensive. But it sounds like it has some very nice features nonetheless. The description claims: "A state of the art, pressurized coffee handle, allows you to use any type of ground coffee to achieve triple the volume of "crema" normally made by other home espresso machines."

I am looking for a replacement for a Gaggia Dose right now and hoping I can find something for under $600. Of all the machines under that price I've browsed so far this is the one that has most caught my attention, but I am a little hesitant to order a machine for which so little user feedback is available.

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

I tried to buy one once off of ebay and the shipper didn't pack it right so it got busted in shipping and I never got to try it. It has a pump and a pressurized portafilter. I saw someone selling one with a regular portafilter in it once.

The pressurized portafilter by my understanding won't open until it hits a certain pressure so it takes away the finickiness of getting the right tamp.

So I can't help much, from what I read it was a decent machine. It may not satisfy the pure espresso crowd but I am guessing it can make a decent latte which is what I was shopping for. I am sure other can jump in on the pros and cons on pressurized portafilters that I know very little of.

pacificmanitou

#3: Post by pacificmanitou »

I would avoid it. Its a decidedly consumer device that can't make a true espresso well. At your price point, options are limited without a willingness to buy used and restore. I'd recommend a pavoni EP or similar.
LMWDP #366

srevli (original poster)

#4: Post by srevli (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion Brandon. I can't find any place selling the "Pavoni Espresso Plus." I am even having a difficult time finding information about it. Is this machine still manufactured? Do you have any other suggestions?

I should add that I don't drink lattes or caps, just straight espresso. I really don't need a hot water dispenser/frother, in case that makes any difference in the machines I should consider.

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

srevli wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Brandon. I can't find any place selling the "Pavoni Espresso Plus."
EP is shorthand for the europiccola, pavoni's small lever. What is your drink volume and budget, and are you willing to buy used?

Also, you must consider your grinder. What will you be using
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Chris:

Here's some "must" reading that will educate you about options:

How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price

Don't get anything with a pressurized portafilter. See some of the FAQs and favorites for this Buying Advice forum.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!