La Marzocco GS3 vs Slayer One Group

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Javierati

#1: Post by Javierati »

Hello all. I am in the market for a home espresso machine. I am willing to spend the 7-10 k for a GS 3 or Slayer. I have read to the point of exhaustion different reviews, watched countless videos on each (more on GS3 compared to Slayer); but have yet to see one live and in person. This is a big issue for me because to spend this amount of money I need to be 100% sure of what I am doing and I am missing this "personal interaction with machine - feel". Good news is that they are going to install a new slayer in 2 months close to where I live. I will have a good feel with that machine then. But I want to ask the question to all of you. What would be the pros vs cons on both?

Here are my current thoughts based on the reviews I have seen. La Marzocco has extensive history behind the machine and excellent track record which gives confidence when buying their product. I have also tasted their coffee on numerous specialty coffee shops, and I love it. Although I have not tasted the coffee from the GS3, I would imagine is similar to what the linea can produce? On the other hand, I have read some stating the quality of the exterior parts of the GS3 may not be up to par with the price? Any comments on this?

The Slayer caught my attention from day one. I don't want to buy the machine on external looks alone because I prefer the taste of the coffee and not just go by looks. But from reviews, everyone seems to love what it can do. The materials seem to be top quality as well, which to me is important because I want the machine to last me 15+ years.

Please help me with your insight.

Any chance on a head to head video on youtube?

Thanks in advance!!

Javier

csepulv

#2: Post by csepulv »

At that price point, it might be worth the investment in a trip to see them in person. Just a thought.
Chris

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

In the cup, the Slayer 2 or 3 group should be pretty much the same as the single group, but that's where the similarities end. They haven't finished working out the kinks and bugs in the single group, so don't draw too much of a conclusion (build wise) by analyzing the larger commercial versions. Our own Nicholas (Shadowfax) has more experience with the LM GS3 that pretty much anyone I know, as far as getting his hands inside them and knowing their strengths and weaknesses. He can rebuild one in his sleep most likely. He also has a single group Slayer, so he'd be a good person to inquire with. I know he loves the shots the Slayer makes. I've used the early prototypes up at the Slayer booth in Seattle last year at the SCAA and I loved the machine and the artistic/esthetics and looks of them too, but I also noted difficulty with temp stability.

Other owners are mentioning bad brain boxes and temp control issues with their single group Slayers. If you ask me, the delay on getting those early adopters set straight is unforgivable. I don't know how many months it's been, but I'm pretty sure we're talking more than 6 and that's conservative. Slayer is getting off easy, since it doesn't appear they're getting raked over the coals over it.

Synesso Hydra's are a bit pricy, but deserve a look too.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Javierati (original poster)

#4: Post by Javierati (original poster) »

csepulv wrote:At that price point, it might be worth the investment in a trip to see them in person. Just a thought.

I plan to do that once I have a pretty good grasp of what I am looking at.
TomC wrote:They haven't finished working out the kinks and bugs in the single group, so don't draw too much of a conclusion (build wise) by analyzing the larger commercial versions.
This is the main reason I wanted to ask the question here. I have not heard much "user experience" when it comes to the slayer, and what these kinks are.

Thanks!

Look forward to seeing what others have to say also.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by uscfroadie »

Both of these, in addition to the Synesso Tom mentioned and the Kees Speedster not yet mentioned, will all be the best in the cup you can get. The grinder you pair them with is of far more concern and a bigger contributor to differences in taste.

That being said, how handy are you at fixing things? Do you plan on working on whatever machine you purchase, or will you need to call out for service? Just so it is not overlooked, ALL machines require service to keep them working. Finding a technician to work on a La Marzocco is child's play as they are plentiful in coffee shops nationwide. Add to that the sheer number of GS/3s made to date (~5,000) compared to other machines and you have yet another advantage. Only you know your comfort level of repairing and servicing whatever you buy.

Just something to consider before purchasing. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Merle

#6: Post by Javierati (original poster) replying to uscfroadie »

I plan to do the repairs myself. That being said, when you compare La Marzocco with Slayer with regards to "how to" videos; La Marzocco wins hands down. I am referring to videos you find on youtube on how to change or fix different things on the machine. I don't find any on Slayer and that worries me. I assume they offer an owner's manual with all the detail but I am a visual person and find these videos to be quite helpful.

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

uscfroadie wrote:Both of these, in addition to the Synesso Tom mentioned and the Kees Speedster not yet mentioned, will all be the best in the cup you can get.
Merle nailed it, let me flush it.

The best in the cup you can get, in a highly ergonomic, and user friendly package comes in a lot more choices than just those four.

Let's start with a few basics:
  • How good are your barista skills?
  • Which commercial machines have you used?
  • How badly do you want to pressure profile?
  • If pressure profiling is important, why aren't you looking at levers?
  • How much production capacity do you need?
  • Do you need it in a portable package?
GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER
The grinder you pair them with is of far more concern and a bigger contributor to differences in taste.
Sooooooooooooooo True.

Rich

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

#8: Post by Javierati (original poster) »

boar_d_laze wrote:Let's start with a few basics:
How good are your barista skills?
Which commercial machines have you used?
How badly do you want to pressure profile?
If pressure profiling is important, why aren't you looking at levers?
How much production capacity do you need?
Do you need it in a portable package?
I am not a professional barista by any chance and have never owned a commercial machine. I am a regular espresso aficionado in search for a great espresso machine. I have owned several good affordable entry level espresso machines like the Rancilio Silvia which I currently own. Currently I am in the process of moving and designing my kitchen. I want to upgrade my espresso machine and buy one that would last me 15 + years. It may be too much machine for my barista skills at the moment but I want to grow with it and fine tune my skills. These two high end machines seem to provide the room to grow as a barista.

The pressure profile aspect of the slayer is an interesting concept that I have never tried before (only owned simple single boiler machines). You can tell me if this aspect of the machine is worth the money or if I should not pay attention to this feature. I do like variations and options. I may not be the Michelangelo of espresso now but I am a dedicated apprentice of the art.

I do not need the machine to be portable.

And, lastly I would use this machine for about 6 cups a day; with the occasional 25-30 during parties.

canuckcoffeeguy

#9: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

If you can't add to your 7-10K budget for a grinder, and still get a GS3 or Slayer, you could look at the Vesuvius or new LM Linea Mini. You'd still have ample room for an excellent grinder.

waroros

#10: Post by waroros »

I'm an early adopter of single group slayer. Temperature stability, or temperature reading stability, I'm not even sure, is a pain. There are a few minor issues with my units, which can be fixed my distributer tech guy. I hope they release all bug fixed to early adopter very soon.

However, if I can turn back time and choose again, I still choose Slayer. In GS/3 you can only play with temperature, and preinfusion time, compared to Slayer, prebrew flow rate, prebrew time, full brew pressure, a bit of flow profiling. A lot more brew style can be accomplished. The most important is that you could brew a light roast coffee.
Let's get it slayed