La Marzocco GS/3 for gigs?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thepilgrimsdream

#1: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

First post here! Long time reader.

I am a full time barista/roaster in training. I've been considering buying a La Marzocco GS/3 for coffee gigs. There are a lot of farm markets where I live and I am friends with a successful caterer who would use me for some gigs. My one question really is how will the machine hold up with a lot of travel(I'd baby it of course). I was trained on a strata and use a linea at work, so I am extremely familiar with LM, I just never travelled with one

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

It was designed for catering, with its self-contained pump and reservoir option.
Marshall
Los Angeles

rbh1515

#3: Post by rbh1515 »

I have always used mine with the reservoir, and it works well.
The machine is quite heavy!!
Whenever I have moved it, which has not been often, I drain the boilers. I am pretty sure you would want to drain them when transporting it. Its a bit of a pain draining and refilling.
Overall its a great machine, and is easy to use.
Rob

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I used the GS/3 several times for a "cars and coffee" event at a local dealership as mentioned in the review. While lugging it around wasn't fun, it was a joy to use once it was setup. I transported it in the passenger seat with lots of towels for padding and the seat belt securely around the grouphead. :)
Dan Kehn