Keeping either Mazzer Super Jolly or Baratza Preciso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sprint jinx

#1: Post by sprint jinx »

I now have both of these in working order, and I am trying to decide between the 2. These are the complications to both:

The mazzer is 5 years old, from a daily cafe and saw moderate use. I bought it to cover my needs while the preciso was being fixed. I totally cleaned it and installed new burrs. I removed the doser and have a cover and tube as a single dosing chute. The result is that I have to brush out grinds from each dose, but that takes 10 seconds. The grind is reliably high quality, fast, loud and effective, a little clumpy. It does what it says it does, with power. I like its size, I'd strip the paint if I keep it.

The Baratza Preciso is 2 years old, but it was just returned to me from HQ, where it received an overhaul due to its not functioning at all as of last month. I believe that the burr set was replaced, the transmission gearing was upgraded, and a new adjustment ring was installed. I have been using it for 4 days now, and the result is very much improved from where it was last month. The refreshed version is way faster and way quiter, chewing through 17 grams in about 13 seconds, and I can talk over the noise. It dumps into the cup cleanly, and light, fluffy grounds are put into the portafilter from there with ease. The uniform consistency is apparent, and it could not be any easier to use. There is no spin down of the burrs, it just stops quicker than before, don't know why, but I noticed it.

Now for the money-
I bought the preciso originally as a refurb at about 225, add 70 for the overhaul, some shipping too.
I bought the mazzer SJ for 300 from a local cafe, 50 for the burrs.

I want to keep just one and sell the other to recoup my costs. I already know that someone will respond saying to keep both, so spare me of that. I single dose only, for espresso based milk drinks only, for me and my wife only. I have no need for more than solid coverage of the basic need. I roast my own, and drink one stash at a time, my need for 2 grinders isn't there. Besides, wouldn't you want to own one of these terrfic grinders for cheaper than cost?

What worries me is the longevity factor. The preciso has already let me down. The mazzer is more robust, has less to go wrong with it, while the preciso has more plastic and seems slightly more fragile with its clicker and sliding adjusters. Since I have taken both apart, I know what lies beneath both in terms of engineering. If I had to predict which one will be functioning in 10 years, id say the mazzer. If I had to say which one is producing better and more consistent grounds, I'd say its the preciso, but probably because it is fresh from a rebuild. Both are rebuildable, parts are available. The preciso is easier, the mazzer is more of a sledge hammer for a nail, that makes it humorous.

The preciso captures beans around the rubber funnel gasket. Maybe something is wrong with mine, but I have found whole beans at the hopper neck when cleaning. The mazzer also has lots of places where grounds and fines get trapped, around and below the burrs, not to mention the exit window and spinning vanes. Its annoying on both, but I can't allow it to drive me nuts, it is what it is. I doubt that I am losing more than .2 grams on either.

I'll ponder more on which to keep. Comments welcomed.

thanks

benhogan

#2: Post by benhogan »

my two cents

keep the SJ. now that you've taken it apart you know how easy you can work on it and touch up any other issues it may have with all the many modifications that others have done here on HB. last a lifetime and better grind.

EricBNC

#3: Post by EricBNC »

If I was using the grinder for espresso only I would keep the Mazzer Super Jolly. I use a Preciso too but mostly I use it for non-espresso grinding. I would keep both since I make pour over and espresso about 50/50, but you know your needs and stated them clearly.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

iginfect

#4: Post by iginfect »

+1 benhogan

Marvin

sprint jinx (original poster)

#5: Post by sprint jinx (original poster) »

score keeping:

Mazz SJ: 4, counting the ones below/ after this comment.
Preciso: 0

Moving towards the auction block is a freshly refurbished Preciso, outstanding in function. As of right now, it will be unplugged, for the outlet is needed by the SJ.

thanks to the folks who quickly responded

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I've had both. Definitely keep the SJ!
LMWDP 267

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

Yeah I would keep the SJ too. I like the Preciso, but I have had it fail me twice now and just don't believe it can stand up to espresso grinding over the long haul. I'll hopefully pick up another grinder sometime in the new year.

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

sprint jinx wrote:.... The Mazzer is more robust, has less to go wrong with it,...
Understatement of the month?

While the Baratza grinders are excellent for the money, there is no comparison to the Mazzers in terms of build and longitivity. Take the hoppers off, and drop each on its side from three feet onto a concrete floor. keep the one that is still working. :wink:

Seriously, just examine the adjustment mechanism's design of each. There is a reason that Mazzers are found working in coffee chops and labs all over the world and have been for a long, long time. if you like the grind from the Mazzer and the coffee made from that ground coffee, there really is no contest.

Of course, you could sell both and get a Kony or a Robur and be done with it.. :shock:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Gig103

#9: Post by Gig103 »

Considering I had a bad enough experience with my Preciso to move up to a Vario (of which I'm very pleased with), I'd also say keep the SJ.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Keep the Super Jolly. No doubt about it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/