Izzo Alex Duetto slowly dying - repair or replace?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BAEvans

#1: Post by BAEvans »

Hi all
Not a newbie. Started with a Silvia 10 years ago, then upgraded to an Alex Duetto Mk 1 7-8 years ago or so.
The Duetto has had some issues (run with Chris Coffee water treatment system). I replaced the expansion valve seat about 1.5 years ago, and recently replaced the PID (gradually losing display LED segments until unreadable) and the steam valve/wand (leaking). These repairs were within my comfort zone.
Now it triggers GFR when the steam boiler is turned on and it looks like (at least) the element will need to be replaced. This one goes beyond my mechanical repair aspirations and my tools at hand (e.g. impact wrench) and I'd need to send it to Chris Coffee for tuneup and whatever repair is required. Suspect the total bill with shipping likely to approach 4 figures, so now I wonder about feeding the landfill and getting a new machine.
I have a Cremina which I (also) use every day for one espresso for me before my wife gets up, using the Duetto to make 2-4 milk drinks once we sit down for breakfast. Would prefer a non-lever for the latter function.
I'm a bit bummed by the deterioration of the Duetto, and wonder what double boiler I should consider if I decide to replace it. Especially - obviously - worried about build quality and, when a track record is available, longevity. Have a 20 amp outlet and would prefer machine I could hook into mains water and drain and with easy draining for (hopefully rare) descaling. Should be at least at the level of the Duetto, although I'm reluctant to buy another unless there's nothing better out there. Price not a big issue, but probably don't want to go as far as a GS3 price wise.
I can see all the choices out there, but would like to tap the collective expertise and experience of the group here.
Bruce

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Sounds like the first one served you well for a long time, why not just get a new one? I sold my Duetto after about a year and a half. I get nervous with complex non-commercial grade gear and didn't want to be in the same boat you're in currently. I sold it for about 80% of what I paid for it, so I feel like I made out well.

There's no qualified repair services in your area that would save you on expensive shipping?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

Replacing a boiler element isn't the end of the world. Why don't you figure out how much the repair would cost before ditching it? These things happen with every machine, and there's no guarantee whatever replacement you get won't have a similar level failure in 7-8 years. The great thing about machines at this level is that parts are standardized and easy to find, so a failure like this doesn't mean you have to throw it out.

My own Duetto has been awaiting major repairs for a long time. The steam boiler element gasket developed a silent leak and shorted all the wiring underneath. It is definitely not a fun machine to dig around inside, but it's doable if you take your time.
Chris

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Well, if you can remove the steam boiler after taking plenty of pics along the way, the total repairs should be AROUND $300 including shipping to and from Chris' Coffee.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Bob_McBob

#5: Post by Bob_McBob replying to erics »

I think the OP's first two problems are already fixed, so assuming the element just needs replacing, the repair cost is $65 for a new steam boiler element and gasket, plus whatever the tool to remove it costs. I can't imagine this repair being anywhere close to four figures with shipping if CC does it. The steam boiler isn't particularly hard to remove. You just unscrew all the fittings then slip off the element leads (after taking photos!), being careful not to bend the vertical pipe leading to the hot water tap.

I also want to point out this machine isn't "slowly dying". Parts wear out and need to be replaced. Some things like steam wand valves, OPVs, pressurestats, etc. are expected to be replaced now and then. It's the nature of owning a machine at this level. Sometimes you have a major repair like a boiler element, brain box, or PID controller. You do the work yourself unless you send it out for every minor repair or get something like a GS/3 and hire a local LM technician. There is no reason for a machine of this quality to not be working indefinitely unless there is a truly catastrophic failure.
Chris

BAEvans (original poster)

#6: Post by BAEvans (original poster) »

Thanks
If I were to send it, given the age I'd want an E61 rebuild and general service. That gets close to $500-600 with shipping.
If nothing else is wrong.
Thanks for the advice.

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

Servicing an E61 group is really simple. There are some great guides at the coffeetime wiki. You may want to replace some of the gaskets if you're getting something like leaking from the lever, but lubricating the cams is the only regular maintenance item. It's unlikely any of the mechanical parts need to be replaced. I wouldn't worry about a "general service". There are parts like the vacuum breaker that will eventually fail, so it's useful to have a stock of backup parts. For the most part with these machines it's a matter of using the right water, lubricating the group now and then, and replacing worn parts as required.

If you're opening it up, I would suggest taking a look at the pump to make sure it isn't leaking on the motor. You should also check the E61 mushroom for scale.
Chris

DanoM

#8: Post by DanoM »

BAEvans wrote:so now I wonder about feeding the landfill and getting a new machine.
It sounds as if the machine is still serviceable, so at the very least don't feed the landfill. If you decide to get a different machine then I'm sure someone would be interested in taking this off of your hands.

I wonder, can you "advertise" in the Buy/Sell forum that you are looking for an overhaul of your machine along with location? Perhaps someone local to you can fix these issues if it's not something you want to handle. There's alot of DIY on these forums, but not everyone is comfortable or up to those projects.
LMWDP #445

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

I find the "landfill" mention personally disgusting. That is a very good machine and likely could be easily repaired by any handy person with a few basic tools. Likely a large wrench, or maybe a vise and a strap wrench. A burned out heating element is no reason to discard a machine. It is like tossing the chandelier into the trash because a lightbulb burned out. It's a $2500 dual boiler E-61. I am sure there are likely a dozen people here would gladly buy it as is. I am still pissed because I couldn't find a carburetor for my 25 year old Husqvarna brush cutter. We all need to work on steering away from the disposable society. Find a handy neighbor with a nice workbench in the garage who is always tinkering. Take a bunch of photos during disassembly paying attention to wire colors and where they go, and mark all the tubing with permanent ink or a scratch awl.

If you are organized, it isn't tough. I have rewired two cars. I blew one fuse on the first because there was a loose wire that was hidden. I rewired another and got the fuel gauge sender wires reversed (they were the same color). I had to pull over because the fuel tank was getting so full I thought it would overflow... :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

BAEvans (original poster)

#10: Post by BAEvans (original poster) »

OP here
Sorry for the overkill on the language - I was a bit upset. And, I guess it's not over till it's over.
I'm reasonably handy but far from a pro, especially where the electricity part is concerned. Each repair I've done on the machine has had me nervous before and relieved after. Pictures, labels, and step by step instructions from Chris Coffee techs has been a lifesaver. And had I decided not to fuss with the machine once upgraditis was dancing in my head, you can bet I'd have offered someone handy a good deal!
After I cooled down and talked with Chris' technician some more, I disassembled things enough to get at the base of the steam boiler. It was perfectly clean and no evidence of any leak. Machine now lying on its back. (It is hard to get at the guts of this machine - I had a whole glass full of screws and bolts)
I disconnected the 2 boiler leads, assuming that the GFR trip would not occur if element short was the cause.
Then - simply plugging the machine in with the switches OFF tripped the GFR.
Aha - had to be the power switches - one for the machine and one for the steam boiler right together), and putting it on its back spread the problem.
(Now there are occasional water spills with this machine, usually when the reservoir fills up before I think of (almost) emptying it. Some slopping occurs when I remove it to empty. On the Mk1 when it's plumbed in it continues to discharge water into the reservoir and it needs to be emptied occasionally, leaving enough water weight to depress the safety switch.)
So, since the switches are right where I was working on the boiler, I played the hair dryer on the switches for a while, and everything appears to work again. Waiting for everything to heat up to try an espresso (which I usually don't do in the afternoon).
I will empty the water reservoir every Friday, to avoid the occasional spills. Promise.

Just looking at the base of the boiler and the 1 7/16 inch nut on the element (with projecting bits of about an inch beyond the nut) made me nervous. Very relieved element death was not apparently the cause.

Thanks for the advice and I apologize for the temper tantrum - I hate the thought of disgusting anyone!