Is the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia II T3 worth the money?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bigbad

#1: Post by bigbad »

The two group (approximately $15K) costs more than a three group La Marzocco Strada MP (approximately $14K).

In contrast, a two group Aurelia (previous model) costs approximately $6K.

Does the T3 technology truly live up to its hype?

I don't know how stable the temperature stability on rival machines are at a scientific level, but I've pulled shots on a Synesso Cyncra and LM Strada, and I can't complain either way.

I really can't imagine how much better the T3 tech is, that it costs more than twice Aurelia's previous model...

truemagellen

#2: Post by truemagellen »

This is a going in a cafe I assume which is why you aren't getting many responses. Only the lighter weight commercial machines really get much action on this forum as they can be put in a house easily. What you are asking is for a high production machine.

I would be wary of getting this machine right away. There is so much new technology, it may have failures in the first run, and/or you wont be able to get it repaired quickly because so few are trained techs for the machine.

What kind of shop are you going for? because if it is a truly specialty shop for high end espresso than I would consider: slayer, KVW, synesso, LM (which u have), this, or my preferred choice...a large lever machine.

When you are running shot after shot you will not be tinkering with pressure profiles, temp, etc. you will be so focused on other tasks...that these things turn into gimmicks. If you want this as an extra machine for demos and whatnot...then it makes sense I guess.

I'd take all this extra money and invest it in training for the baristas/owner and give them a high quality lever machine...they will fly on it once they are good and you will have customers enamored with it and espresso will be top notch. I can't tell you how many shops I've been to with a $20K machine and milk cooked on the steam wand...f&*K those places!

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

truemagellen wrote:I can't tell you how many shops I've been to with a $20K machine and milk cooked on the steam wand...f&*K those places!
Thanks for the eloquent image and sentiment. You will be plagiarized. Oh yes. You will be plagiarized.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

bigbad (original poster)

#4: Post by bigbad (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:This is a going in a cafe I assume which is why you aren't getting many responses. Only the lighter weight commercial machines really get much action on this forum as they can be put in a house easily. What you are asking is for a high production machine.

I would be wary of getting this machine right away. There is so much new technology, it may have failures in the first run, and/or you wont be able to get it repaired quickly because so few are trained techs for the machine.

What kind of shop are you going for? because if it is a truly specialty shop for high end espresso than I would consider: slayer, KVW, synesso, LM (which u have), this, or my preferred choice...a large lever machine.

When you are running shot after shot you will not be tinkering with pressure profiles, temp, etc. you will be so focused on other tasks...that these things turn into gimmicks. If you want this as an extra machine for demos and whatnot...then it makes sense I guess.

I'd take all this extra money and invest it in training for the baristas/owner and give them a high quality lever machine...they will fly on it once they are good and you will have customers enamored with it and espresso will be top notch. I can't tell you how many shops I've been to with a $20K machine and milk cooked on the steam wand...f&*K those places!
No, this is not for a cafe. Actually, I was planning on purchasing it for my own use... but I'm not ready to spend 15K on a two group NS, unless it's got something revolutionary going on. I have no doubts it's a great machine, but for a two group that costs more than a three group LM Strada MP, you would at least expect manual pressure profiling.

I really want manual pressure profiling for my next machine for experimental purposes.

Anyway, I've had the opportunity to work under various bar setups, and as far as shot quality goes, they're all comparable.

I enjoy the Synesso's head room, which is more spacious than the LMs, but the steam wand ergonomics is a deal breaker. The Slayer's ability to pressure profile is awesome, but the shell design is basically a fancier looking Cyncra, so same deficient steam wand ergonomics.

I've only had the chance to work on an NS briefly, but I wanted to get one because it's the machine used at the competitions I take part in, and I just wanted to get a better feel for it.

Zaneus

#5: Post by Zaneus »

If you're using it to practise for competitions then maybe you could justify it. If its for home use and tinkering, the strada would probably serve you better. Synessos are nice but it's not complete manual pressure profiling. Its a more simple four stage profile (preinfuse, ramp up, full pressure, ramp down) Shot stability is also slightly annoying. If you let the synessos brew boiler go for 20+ seconds unrestricted (without a shot being pulled) the temperature will start to dip. I've been told the slayer can go "indefinitely" with very minimal change in temperature. I can't vouch for the strada's stability. However in a home setting these are all irrelevant as you will be brewing under ideal circumstances.

On another note, does anyone have a link to the T3's specs? more importantly what makes it SO revolutionary? From what ive read there's no new ground breaking technology or anything that other machines don't already have. It just seems to be a well lit easy to clean and maintain machine.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

The original Aurelia was the most temperature stable machine ever, according to Greg Scace -- it ran a flat line at all times and under all loads.

My impression is that it is one of the most forgiving machines I ever used: basically, the mechanics of the preinfusion and puck wetting achieves very high and stable extractions with normal dosing every time, and therefore very palatable results every time. I did not get the impression that it was very workable -- it did its excellent but single thing repeatedly and consistently.

I'm not sure what else the new model brings. But if the consistency I describe is what you want; you'd be hard put to find anything better than the original Aurelia.
Jim Schulman