Is a consumer-level espresso machine a waste of money? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
day

#11: Post by day »

baldheadracing wrote:I am interested in this question too. A local store has the BDB on for about $900US (all taxes included) - until the end of this month. With my credit card I will be able to get the warranty doubled (4 years total). Sounds good, but I wonder about the build quality relative to what I would sell to get the BDB (PID'd Silvia and an MCaL).
Just a head up, most double warranties are up to 1 additional year
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

boar_d_laze

#12: Post by boar_d_laze »

An Alexia with PID isn't a "pro" machine in the sense that anyone operating a commercial establishment would use one or any other SBDU. They can't work fast enough, especially if steam is involved; and -- let's be honest -- are totally inadequate as steamers because the shot collapses while it waits first for the boiler to adjust, and second for the slow steaming times. The PID Alexia's got a good group, is in a nice box, and is a nice shot puller for someone who limits himself to two or three shots without milk per session.

Pro? No. Prosumer? Maybe, but only because it's built like a "prosumer," looks like a "prosumer," and "prosumer" is a made up word still looking for a final definition.

The BDB is the most user friendly, non truly commercial machine I've ever tried. I think the in the cup results are ridiculously good for the price, easy learning curve and consistency. Not much in the way of production capacity, a marginal steamer, plastic skin around a plastic frame, and not a "pro" or "prosumer" in any sense. Just good results.

Pessimism regarding 920 build quality might be overblown. They've been on the market long enough and in such large numbers that if there were weak components or design flaws we would be seeing tear stained posts here and on CG in the hundreds. We certainly saw them during the first year of the 900, but we're seeing very few with the 920.

The alternatives to the BDB aren't tricked out SBDUs, but two hybrids, CC1, QM Silvano; and any one of a variety of compact HXs.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Compass Coffee

#13: Post by Compass Coffee »

boar_d_laze wrote:GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER
Rich
+1 Virtuoso will be woefully inadequate and you'll just frustrate yourself regardless the espresso machine. (unless extremely low end machine with pressurized portafilter but that doesn't count for real espresso anyway)
Mike McGinness

peacecup

#14: Post by peacecup »

One of the most unfortunate results of the upward drift of hardware on this site is that it discourages people from ever starting on this path. Obviously, I'm as guilty as anyone. But please be assured that excellent shots can be had on a regular basis from prosumer machines. It just takes a little more effort.
+

You should use care in making a decision but you should NOT be discouraged from starting. Just over 10 years ago most people on this forum were recommending Silvia/Rocky as the path to espresso enlightenment. Although it is great that the bar has been justifiably raised, one can still make great espresso on a budget. My own path started 10+ years ago with a $200 Saeco (which I thought was extravagent) and a $10 used hand grinder.

Ten years later that $10 hand grinder still makes great shots, and I own a couple of simple home lever machines worth less than $1000 each. I doubt I'll win any competitions with this gear, but my results are excellent. When budget and space allows I may own a titan grinder and commerical lever, but if it takes another 10 years I'll be more than enjoying the ride.

If you love being at cafes spend the 1K there - if you love making espresso get yourself the best kit you can afford and go for it.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Nick Name

#15: Post by Nick Name »

Yes, it is very true that you can get into homebarista-business with relatively low costs. I would suggest a Gaggia Baby and an Ascaso i-steel grinder to start with (or maybe an Europiccola if the candidate is geeky enough). That'd get you started with less than 500€. Most people here seem to have lost their common sense (myself included). :wink:

To get all my espressos/cappuccinos from a local cafe would cost me roughly 3500€ per year. In that sense, having invested to quality machinery saves me pennies in the long run - even if I buy fresh-roasted quality artisan beans for 40€/kg. And besides saving my money, I end up with better coffee. No doubt about that.