Illy thick cappuccino cups?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
number9

#1: Post by number9 »

Ok, this will sound silly, but that is the norm from me:

I have (had) a set of old Illy cappucinno cups I purchased back in 2004 perhaps (two broken
handles over the years of dropping them).
They look like this one: Does anyone know the volume of illy's logo cups? but my old ones are much thicker. As in, my "original" ones look like if you dropped it, it would not break (at least, not the sidewalls). The original ones have thick sidewalls and thick bottoms.

I ordered another set of Illy cappuccino cups. They came in, and they are really thin on the sidewalls.
So thin I think we are nervous about using them, and are actually a bit upset about the "cheapness"
of them. The old ones are made in Italy. The new ones are made in Portugal (for whatever that is
worth in determining which ones you have).

Does anyone know where to get one that size (I don't know the size, but the link above make some
mention of it) but thicker? I will also note the newer ones are not as tall, and hold less liquid.

Thanks.

peacecup

#2: Post by peacecup »

Probably different manufacturers. I have Lavazza cups by both IPA and d'Ancar. The IPA cups are thicker, and almost imperceptibly rougher-finished. At first I only liked the thick IPA cups, but now I've come to like both equally. They are different, and promote slightly different taste experiences, but each finds their way into my espresso routine. You may come to like the new version. If you search for IPA Illy cups you're sure to find some somewhere.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

number9 (original poster)

#3: Post by number9 (original poster) »

Thanks, and you are correct, a quick search for IPA and cappuccino cups shows up a number of them on
flea-bay and google.d Thanks.

walshman

#4: Post by walshman »

I have 8 of these cups that says ipa Italy on the bottom I don't need if you are interested.

sqroot3

#5: Post by sqroot3 »

i'd own a lot more illy demitasse if they weren't so damn expensive!