IKAWA Professional - Anyone Tried it

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
calottery

#1: Post by calottery »

Hi there HB'ers,

I'm new to the forum and my first post, but have been solidly reading for a month now.

I'm in the market to buy a home-roaster. I've literally read all descriptions and reviews on everything from behmor to nesco to north to gene, but Ikawa has little information on it from a usability POV.

Has anyone actually used the Professional? Has anyone owned it? I don't have a lot of physical room to work with, and not the most ventilation friendly area, so I'm looking for something to get the job done and I don't mind the small batch size (approx 60g).
If I'm reading correctly, the temprature of the machine can roast just as well (i use that phrase loosely) as a drum machine, temprature wise...

Any information regarding roasting ability from medium to dark roast would be helpful.
Also, I've opened an e-mail with the company, but anyone have specifics on pricing? Non kickstarter price, since I'm looking for the Professional and not the home version.

Thanks in advance! :D

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Over $1000 for a machine that roasts 48gm (post roast weight)?

Fine for pros in the coffee trade needing to cup a variety of greens before buying tons of them.

But for home, a hot air popcorn popper will do it for $15.

Do you plan on roasting before every brew you make?

That's a lot of extra time and trouble when you add in preheat, sorting, cooling.
LMWDP #603

calottery (original poster)

#3: Post by calottery (original poster) »

I won't be roasting right before brewing. Hoping to use these machines to get into very light volume for small roastery, where multiple people can run the machines without a very very steep learning curve.

Portability of this machine is a huge factor in our decision. Cost already is killer...

It's more than $1,000 USD considering the selling price of the Pro Model in Pounds...

weebit_nutty

#4: Post by weebit_nutty »

it's pretty crazy.. plus.. I guess the concept of resting doesn't apply here?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Jens_Muff

#5: Post by Jens_Muff »

I have have seen it in action a few times. Fun little thing. Not enough time with it to say too much about it myself though. I talked to a pro roaster who loved it for when they received 100-150 g samples before deciding whether or not to buy a lot.

I dont't follow why anyone would use it as a home roaster.

Almost any model seems like a better choice imo both price logging and batch size. Doesn't a Quest offer fairly small batches also?

But if money and batch size is not an issue I guess it's fine.