I need new roasting equipment for reasonably high volume in the home.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pacificmanitou

#1: Post by pacificmanitou »

Im currently roasting on a popper, which works, but the volume is really low, not to mention the mess. I live in an area where well over half the year you cant roast outside, so its mostly in the kitchen. I end up with chaff on the counter, theres only so much the chaff collector I made can do, and smoke that lingers forever. I roast a lot of coffee. A few pounds a week of regular coffee, and at least a pound of decaf. With my current setup Im roasting every day or every other day in small quantities to keep the roast consistent, because after two cycles the roaster is too hot and just burns half and underroasts the other half. Im preparing to get a replacement setup, hopefully one that I can keep for a while and not feel a need to upgrade from (unless theres a good method thats really cheap). I am not opposed to building a roaster, but I have limited access to tools and cannot machine anything. Id like the end result to be able to roast a pound or more inside. If I have to I can live with smoke, I do now anyway, but Id like to not have chaff everywhere. I dont want to use a computer to run the roast, but I could probably be convinced otherwise if there is a good enough reason. The roaster needs to have some type of cooling method and I would like to be able to see the roast or have a trier. The immediate thoughts that come to mind are the HotTop and Quest M3, but I also hear complaints about those, and at the price point Im not sure I wouldnt be better off looking into a home-built one, but then again, Im limited by my ability to manufacture. Any guidance would be helpful.
LMWDP #366

iginfect

#2: Post by iginfect »

Having used every roaster under $1000 except quest, I'd recommend the hottopb with the tc4c external modification. If I could do an internal mount, anyone can and it is now easier. For me , this is a no brainer.

Marvin

hankua
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by hankua »

Can you vent the roaster out a window? If so the Huky500 can be ordered with a butane stove and optional vent kit. There are some HB members with this setup so if you do decide on a Huky, make sure to get the latest recommendations.

bmb

#4: Post by bmb »

Have you considered a Gene Cafe ? Roasts very well, and should cost quite less than the others.
It's an half pounder that roasts back to back without effort.
Should take about two hours to roast your three pounds.
Cooling is originally internal, however it's very easy (5 minutes) and cheap to mount a very effective external cooler with a plastic bucket, a colander and a vacuum cleaner, and works great.
You'll find more information at the Homeroasters.org site.
http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/v ... rowstart=0

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Hottop won't roast a lb and makes you wait between roasts while it cools. Not recommended for your needs. Am thinking of Huky myself.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

genovese

#6: Post by genovese »

pacificmanitou wrote:I end up with chaff on the counter, theres only so much the chaff collector I made can do, and smoke that lingers forever.
I use a modified popper with an existing dryer vent, connected with 4" round aluminum flex duct, which sends 98% of the smoke and chaff outdoors. The fact that it's in the basement permits a lower standard of neatness, and keeps it away from the roving eyes of SWMBO. If you have that option, it might tide you over until you develop your setup further.

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#7: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

What is the price tag on a huky? Also, is it gas only? I think there may be a city ordinance that says I can't use gas in my apartment. I know I can't have a grill on my porch. I'm renting and can't really find a good place for a permanent install. Even worse my kitchen has no windows. I intend to keep using my current roaster till I've got the ability to buy a new one in cash or it bursts into flames. Whichever comes first.
LMWDP #366

Burner0000

#8: Post by Burner0000 »

I recommend the Behmor 1600. I know for a fact that it can handle 3 roasts back to back with 15min cool time in between. Sweetmaria's has a good deal for their starter kit. Comes with 10 1/2 bags of green to get you started. $306.50 USD. http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/ ... sting.html

By the way as long as you have a dedicated outlet for the roaster you will have no problem taking a full pound into dark roast. I bought my Behmor 2nd hand and have had no issues to date. If you still wan't more volume simply get a 2nd Behmor. Total cost for 2 is still under $1,000 It has smoke supression and if you are able to roast near a window with a fan to suck the air out you will have no smoke at all.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Personally:

Id consider a 1kg/Sample Roaster. Set it up in your garage so you can easily vent the smoke, and run it off a BBQ Propane tank. Capacity is up to 2lbs or so, but you can run small loads too for testing purposes.

Diedrich IR-1
USRC Sample Roaster

These are owned by two members over on Coffeegeek(they post here too), and from all reports, they both love them. Im pretty sure the owner of the USRC has his setup on a rolling cart, complete with the BBQ tank, so its fully mobile.

Also consider:
Toper Cafemino(This comes in gas or electric.. From what Ive read, Electric is capable, but the gas model is where the cheddar is)
Mini 500(Do a quick search, there is a good thread on this one)

And then if you don't want to spring for something like this, then honestly...

Hottop B

You can do up to I believe 9oz at a time, though batch sizes around 225-250 is more reasonable for better control and results. Full manual control during the roast process.. ITs got plenty of upgrades available, and a huge user base. True back to back roasting is not possible, there is a cool down period. From dumping the current roast, to dropping in new greens, is about 8minutes. Personally, its never slowed me down, but others have complained(and to be fair, no, it can't truly back-to-back roast)

If you develop the skill, the Hottop can produce pro level results. So can other roasters, but Im making a case for this one :wink:

pacificmanitou (original poster)

#10: Post by pacificmanitou (original poster) »

Let me add some clairification on my situation. I live in a third floor apartment with no ventilation in the kitchen. I can't roast on my porch most of the year, its just too cold. I don't want to do what I did with my espresso machine upgrades and buy umpteen espresso machines and grinders, then sell them off so I can buy what I should have to start with. I started roasting with the cheapest thing available, and I've realized I want to keep doing it and do it right. I need a high roast capacity. I would like to have a sample roaster. That would be ideal. I don't know if I would be able to store it, or use it in my setting. Id need more information: how much am I looking at with one? What does it weigh, and how large are they? I will have to look into it, but I don't think I can use gas in my building. This limits things I've been looking at, like the huky (any idea on the price on that, or where to buy it? Can't find that either), and possibly a sample roaster. I can't easily vent anything outside unless I roll ductwork out to the back door each time I roast.
LMWDP #366