I guess I need a coffee grinder - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
_rob_

#21: Post by _rob_ »

I was in exactly your position, and went for the refurb vario W with steel burrs. I love this thing. It really is a great brew grinder.

The way you describe how you like coffee, and the tastes that you are sensitive to reminds me much of myself as well. I take mine with a splash of half and half, no sugar, but otherwise, same story.

BTW - I have the same r/c helicopter and rifle scope spending habits as well...

BenKeith (original poster)

#22: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

If you have it the "same", you are one sick dude and I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy person in the country. All together, I have about 11 helicopters. At least one of everything Align makes plus a couple extra 450's and 600's, plus a few other 700's. Then you can throw in about a 1/2 dozen 1/5 and 1/7 scale planes and a few controllers, a couple of which would buy a nice espresso machine themselves and you can say you are just as sick as I am.

I think the last time I counted, I was at 33 long guns and six pistols, anywhere between several competition bench rest and tactical rifles to the 22LR. Between pistols, rifles and shotguns, I shoot "several" thousand rounds a year.

Plus I'm just as sick with my bass fishing. 20' bass boat, full of high dollar electronics and enough nice rods and reels and tackle to stock Bass Pro Shop.

Not even going to get into the cars, tools, lathes, milling machines and a whole bunch of other goodies. That's why I'm still using a dam Cuisinart grinder, I keep all my money spent on all my other hobbies and toys. When it comes to engines, I'm like the Tool Man, can't have too much power. Never heard of a boat or car that was too fast or an engine that had too much horse power.

OOOPs! I guess this is off topic, but I did mention espresso machine and grinder so it has some subject matter.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

Now that you've revealed what you've got to trade, there are no more excuses. We've told you about a Bunn equipped with Ditting 804 burrs, the infamous Bunnzilla. Why not get the grinder that goes with the blades? It's sold by H-B sponsor Espresso Parts for just under $2500. Only 25" tall, 50 lbs., 80mm blades. The duty cycle on the blades is 15K lbs. It will look right at home next to your milling machine.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me in business! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

BenKeith (original poster)

#24: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

Holy Crap! Lets see now, if I go through two pounds a month, that's only 7,500 months of coffee, or 625 years, or about 160,000, 10oz cups of coffee. Figure I'm already 66 years old, ya recon that might be a little over kill. They will probably have some type of laser device or something that perfectly cuts beans so every piece is the perfect size you want before I ever got the burrs broke in on that thing.

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

This group is fanatic enough I've seen one of these "in person," because we were tasting it against another grinder optimized for brewing and doing sift tests. The vibrating plate on the front of it is loud. And it is huge. That's why I'm "settling" for a Bunn LPG with the same burr set. I hope to get the burrs broken in over the next half year or so. At that point I will be $450 into it, set up like new. Not bad, considering.
Gary
LMWDP#308

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by JohnB. »

I'd consider the $2400 KF804 a step down from a Bunnzilla which you could put together for $500-$700 depending on the used cost of the G series you buy. The 804 has no auger feed so it's not ideal for single dosing & getting to the burrs for cleaning, ect. is much more difficult.
LMWDP 267

drgary
Team HB

#27: Post by drgary replying to JohnB. »

So here you are, Keith. Your kitchen counter can look like the coffee aisle at the supermarket.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/bunn-b ... ee-grinder
Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by JohnB. »

I'd consider the awe inspiring monolithic beauty of the Bunn G series grinder a welcome addition to any kitchen. The first time my wife saw Bunnzilla sitting up on the counter she was struck speechless - briefly. :lol:
LMWDP 267

_rob_

#29: Post by _rob_ »

BenKeith wrote:If you have it the "same", you are one sick dude and I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy person in the country. All together, I have about 11 helicopters. At least one of everything Align makes plus a couple extra 450's and 600's, plus a few other 700's. Then you can throw in about a 1/2 dozen 1/5 and 1/7 scale planes and a few controllers, a couple of which would buy a nice espresso machine themselves and you can say you are just as sick as I am.

I think the last time I counted, I was at 33 long guns and six pistols, anywhere between several competition bench rest and tactical rifles to the 22LR. Between pistols, rifles and shotguns, I shoot "several" thousand rounds a year.

Plus I'm just as sick with my bass fishing. 20' bass boat, full of high dollar electronics and enough nice rods and reels and tackle to stock Bass Pro Shop.

Not even going to get into the cars, tools, lathes, milling machines and a whole bunch of other goodies. That's why I'm still using a dam Cuisinart grinder, I keep all my money spent on all my other hobbies and toys. When it comes to engines, I'm like the Tool Man, can't have too much power. Never heard of a boat or car that was too fast or an engine that had too much horse power.

OOOPs! I guess this is off topic, but I did mention espresso machine and grinder so it has some subject matter.
My gun and helicopter collection are smaller for sure, but I also have other expensive hobbies: jet skis, pinball machine collecting, wood working, and on it goes... Fortunately, one hobby is poker, which subsidizes the other hobbies a little. It at least pays for the travel related to the poker hobby, plus a little extra.

Planning a pinball machine refurb project. Looking at spending $6k per machine for 2 machines to be rebuilt to better than new condition. The sickness runs deep...

So, hijack aside, where are you leaning on the grinder purchase?

_rob_

#30: Post by _rob_ »

How well does the bunzilla do for single dosing and how easy is the cleaning.

The one thing I love about my vario-W (besides the size) is the convenience factor. The scale based dosing is just fantastic.