I guess I need a coffee grinder - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
weebit_nutty

#11: Post by weebit_nutty »

Rationalize much?

Everything you've written tells me you're very much a coffee snob.. Despite the milk :P More than anything you need a good grinder.

Just bite the bullet and be done with it. Enough hemming and hawing.

I get what you're saying.. You want the best bang for the buck. Who doesn't.

I won't repeat the recommendations already made. They are good ones. Just know you'll eventually upgrade. That's the funny thing about coffee. The more you drink the more it changes. Mark my words, you'll be posting about this or that grinder in 6 months if not sooner.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

SpaceTime

#12: Post by SpaceTime »

weebit_nutty wrote: Everything you've written tells me you're very much a coffee snob.
"My name is Tim, and I am a coffee snob... "

Dang, that's liberating!
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

weebit_nutty

#13: Post by weebit_nutty replying to SpaceTime »

hahaha your preaching to the choir :)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

BenKeith (original poster)

#14: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

The Vario flat burr, is that more for espresso than coffee? Would one of the conicals make a better coffee grinder. I notice most a recommending the conicals and I know that Solis conical I have, which appears to been made by Baratza, seems to do a very good job on coffee.

What I'm asking, should I get the Vario or the Virtuoso. This is coffee only, NO espresso so which makes the best coffee. Not concerned about the price difference between them, just the better coffee grinder.

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Generally flat burrs are used for non-espresso brewing. Here are the Ditting Burrs I just got to replace those in my Bunn LPG commercial brew grinder. People get these as one of the high-end solutions. The burrs without shipping cost $320. If you're wondering one of them has an adapter attached to the back of it so it will fit the Bunn grinder.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#16: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

I have the Doge, I just installed new burrs in and modified the crap out of it for my espresso. I also have my old Rocky that I put new burrs in last year. The Doge I only use for espresso, and from my understanding the Rocky does not do that good with coffee, if I'm wrong about that, then I had just as soon use it as buy another.

I need a grinder to keep in Texas when I'm here and won't be making espresso's, but want a good "coffee" grinder so I can throw a Cuisinart thing in the trash. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two mentioned, now just trying to find out which one would make the better coffee grinder, or just tell me I'm wrong about the Rocky and I would gladly just use it.

Your burrs cost about what I'm looking to spend on the whole thing. Of course, they are probably just good seasoned good when mine are ready to be replaced.

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Of course I'm not recommending you get something for those Ditting burrs. You were asking about conical versus flat burrs for brew grinding. The flat burrs are the preferred choice.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

BenKeith wrote:What I'm asking, should I get the Vario or the Virtuoso. This is coffee only, NO espresso so which makes the best coffee. Not concerned about the price difference between them, just the better coffee grinder.
I'd suggest that you contact Baratza & see if they will sell you a new Vario with the optional steel coffee burrs installed in place of the stock ceramic burrs. They offer that option for the Vario-W https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerc ... n&key=8170. Or buy a used or refurb Vario & install the $60 coffee burrs yourself.
LMWDP 267

#19: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

The ceramic burrs have been my main sticking point with the Vario. The reason I'm asking this now is they have a refure'd there now, and I've started to click on the buy button several times today but, I have this thing about associating ceramic burrs with "CHEAP" grinders. I'm well aware they are suppose to be harder and stay sharper than most any steel burr, BUT! the dam things are still ceramic. The W model is the only model they say they will (as they put it also) "upgrade" to the steel burrs. Funny thing is, I pay dearly for the ceramic bearings I use in my fishing reals and RC helicopters, because they hold up better and are much smoother. Show's how crazy my head is screwed on.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by JohnB. »

Baratza's ceramic burrs would be the way to go if you planned on using the Vario for espresso. Their optional steel burrs are made by Ditting & are designed for brew grinding. If you want the best brew grinder in that price range the Vario with the Ditting burrs would be your best "home" size alternative.
LMWDP 267