Huky, Quest, Kaldi, Hottop, Mill City, or Gene Cafe?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
brettpavia

#1: Post by brettpavia »

If one was to buy a small home roaster which is the best option and what are the differences in build quality, roasting ability, and software roasting profile compatibility:

Huky 500

Quest M3

Kaldi

Hottop KN-8828B-2K+

Mill City 500g

Gene Cafe
Coffee fuels my passion for community, creativity, and social responsibility.

nickw

#2: Post by nickw »

Much has been written on the subject. A search will reveal a lot.

Personally, when I venturing out into roasting, Mill City will be towards the top of my list (I'll also look at USR and SF, and perhaps others).

Software compatibility is based on probes which you can add.

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Brett:

+1 that there is much written here on many of these. What reading have you done so you can tell us first which ones you are drawn to and why? If you haven't done any research yet, please use the Search function to read up on roasters that interest you so that we can answer more specific and relevant questions.

Also your question about software compatibility doesn't make sense. Software interprets the data you get from probes that you attach or that someone like Mill City can attach for you. Those probes in turn connect with a device that brings it into your computer for software to interpret. The internal software on a Hottop, for example, is not what you would use for readouts in Artisan on probes you would attach to your computer via a Phidget 1048 or an Amprobe TMD56.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

day

#4: Post by day »

I think the software roasting comparability was probably more geared to the gene cafe.

Have you decided against moving to the fluid bed? I know I am committed to getting something in the north league in the next year or two myself, or a mill city north of there is no obvious comp at the time....pretty big price range listed there though, to simply ask of the mill city 500g is better than the kaldi is sort of of an odd question out of context.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

brettpavia (original poster)

#5: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

I love the fluid air bed, but more for a larger roaster. At the moment i am thinking about a smaller roaster just for fun.

The question about software compatibility, as some of these machines are not as easy to attack probes to and some some are limited in software options (like the hottop)

I like the Kaldi for some reason as it is well built and simple, cheaper than the others as well.

Gene Cafe looks the coolest, but I fear that hooking a probe up to is with the most difficult to hook up to a computer.

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters »

brettpavia wrote:If one was to buy a small home roaster which is the best option and what are the differences in build quality, roasting ability, and software roasting profile compatibility:

Huky 500

Quest M3

Kaldi

Hottop KN-8828B-2K+

Mill City 500g

Gene Cafe
Your profile lists a Toper Cafemino and I can't help wonder why you ask?

millcityroasters

#7: Post by millcityroasters »

brettpavia wrote:I love the fluid air bed, but more for a larger roaster. At the moment i am thinking about a smaller roaster just for fun.
Okay. My opinion: Huky.

brettpavia (original poster)

#8: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

no longer have the toper, sadly

turtle

#9: Post by turtle »

A lot depends on where you will be roasting and the volume of coffee you will be roasting.

Living in an apartment and putting a roaster on the stove with the vent fan on limits you.

Having a dedicated roasting building with piped gas and exhaust lifts most limits.
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

johnny4lsu

#10: Post by johnny4lsu »

Owned a Hottop
Owned a Huky
Now own a North 1k

Huky is major upgrade over hottop
North is major upgrade over Huky

Can't answer about the 500g ones, but they look legit.