How to choose between 2ish roasters? Huky 500, Kaldi, Bullet R1

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JWStarr

#1: Post by JWStarr »

3 going once, going twice!!!!!

Here are the links for more info on these roasters:

Exploring the Huky 500 Coffee Roaster, Part I

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/deta ... =904931232

This is a thread stemming from my previous at --- Is anyone doing improvised roasting with good results?

- So if you want back info that thread explains what I'm up to.

In this thread what I'm after is to understand why I might choose one over the other. And then to understand which accessories I might get.. or where I can find out. My understanding right now is just to get the basic unit. I've seen a couple of notes on solid barrel vs. screen. otherwise I'm assuming the thing will just work..

With the Kaldi, if I have outdoor space to use it, do I need the chaff collector and cooler or is there some thing I can just hook to it to make it work?

These are Huky 500T notes and accessories:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13BW ... sp=sharing

Thanks for your thoughts.

B

Charlene

#2: Post by Charlene »

Hi Brandon,

There is a third roaster I would propose be under consideration, the Bullet R1.

I have been very interested in the Huky and have done extensive research on it.
What I find quite appealing is it's looks. It looks like a machine right out of the 1890s.

It's potential for function appears to be quite good and it is like a Christmas tree in that one can go bare bones or furnish it with all sorts of add-ons to enhance it.

Check out the Bullet R1...

aecletec

#3: Post by aecletec »

The facebook group for the R1 is quite helpful to see what fixes people are using for the teething problems.

JWStarr (original poster)

#4: Post by JWStarr (original poster) replying to aecletec »

I looked at the FB . lot's of info, but how to go through so much unindexed info?

The R1 is very interesting Charlene .. almost double the cost, but for serious op.. its almost double capacity the others. huh

More on R1
Aillio Bullet R1 - Roasting Experience

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

JWStarr wrote:I looked at the FB . lot's of info, but how to go through so much unindexed info?
As a member of the group I can search for terms... e.g. fix or problem etc

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

I'd go ahead and get the Huky with the minimal amount of accessories. Kaldi looks great, but where's the air fan; oh that's optional? What's it going to cost by the time you get the complete set?

You could also get a Mini500 in just about any color in @ three weeks. Two weeks for production and one week for air shipment. It can roast back to back, even cool and roast at the same time. Yang-Chia's cost 1/2 what Fuj-Royals go for.

But my first choice would be a used Fuji R-101 :D

http://www.fujiko-ki.co.jp/roast/r101.html

#7: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:As a member of the group I can search for terms... e.g. fix or problem etc
I joined the group to check it out. are you just serching in the FB bar at the top?

are there any problems worth mentioning here?

#8: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

What are people paying for the mini500? I think that's more thn I wnt to spend.. I could get tht Huky for 1300 in my hand. I cn't tell if I need any accessories. but they wouldn't be many. I think going with the least expensive functional machine to get my skills honed nd my product ready is the best way to go. You figure tht Kaldi is going to need something to solve tht second unit coller issue.. like I need it or something like it.. nd them I'm tinkering with it here ??

Thnks!
hankua wrote:I'd go ahead and get the Huky with the minimal amount of accessories. Kaldi looks great, but where's the air fan; oh that's optional? What's it going to cost by the time you get the complete set?

You could also get a Mini500 in ju

aecletec

#9: Post by aecletec »

There is a bar to the left that allows you to search the group. It'd take me longer to list than it would for you to skim them :)
Seems to be quite a few troubles mentioned but I suppose that's to be expected with large production runs... enought to make me want to wait before dropping that kinda cash, though!

#10: Post by JWStarr (original poster) »

aecletec wrote:enought to make me want to wait before dropping that kinda cash, though!
Tht last bit tells me what I'm looking for! Thanks!