How Much to Spend on a Tamper? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#21: Post by Bezman (original poster) »

Thanks for the direct link to the website.

One other question. Where can I find the basket diameter for my Oscar? I've read it's 58mm, but I'm afraid ordering a 58mm tamper might not fit if the tamper is on the large side and the basket is on the small side.

Anvan

#22: Post by Anvan »

Even with a tolerance build-up problem (that is, your 58mm NS basket was manufactured uncharacteristically undersize and your 58mm tamper uncharacteristically oversize) there's almost always enough "play" that the tamper will fit fine.

So long as you select your tamper from a reputable manufacturer, it's extremely rare that their 58mm tamper won't reasonably fit any major manufacturer's 58mm basket. So you're safe to order whatever make and model looks good to you. The very worst outcome would be that you have to buy a new basket, since any decent tamper maker will stand behind their spec. But again, having to spend that extra $5 or $10 would be very, very unusual.

The 58mm sizing issues you read about only start to come into play when you try to get an extra-close fit. That's when you enter the world of precision-spec baskets, custom-sized tampers, caliper measurements, buying matched sets of baskets and tampers from suppliers of both and so forth.

Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#23: Post by Bezman (original poster) »

Oh, I doubt I'll ever reach that :)

Anvan

#24: Post by Anvan »

Yevgeny, one more comment - if you end up deciding you'd like a tamper from a custom manufacturer such as Pullman or Reg Barber, do tell them what machine/basket you have. Chances are they will apply their experience to ensure a better fit.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by mitch236 »

Or even better would be to send them your favorite basket and have them make a Tamper to fit!! Of course that may limit what other baskets you can use

LaDan

#26: Post by LaDan »

I would like to know what is to be gained from getting a $50 tamper compared to a simpler, $25 one taste-wise. I don't particularly care about looks.
Nothing. The tamper is just a round piece of metal. There's no difference between a $25 stainless steel disk, and a $200 stainless steel disk. It's just a flat round piece of metal that you use to press the coffee with. If it is round and in the right size, it is not going to affect the taste, even if you pay x5 the price. The difference in prices usually come from a more shiny handle, bling, etc. Handles can make your tamper feel more comfortable in your hand, and look nicer on your kitchen counter, but the metal disk is just a metal disk.

Bezman wrote:Thanks for the direct link to the website.

One other question. Where can I find the basket diameter for my Oscar? I've read it's 58mm, but I'm afraid ordering a 58mm tamper might not fit if the tamper is on the large side and the basket is on the small side.
Best thing is to just measure it using a caliper like this: http://s1cafe.com/wforum/userpix/154_ba ... ddle_1.jpg
measure it in many points to figure out the smallest diameter, since baskets are sometimes not perfectly round. If you are going for the 58mm tamper, that's fine. If you want a more precise fit, ask for a tamper that is about 0.25mm smaller than your basket. Precision Tampers (Hai Pham) will charge you some $5 - $9 extra for a custom size made tamper.

adan0327

#27: Post by adan0327 »

Honestly the price comes down to 2 things:
-ergonomics
-aesthetics

ergonomics being how heavy and how it feels in the hand. I was at social and had the chance to compare a reg barber to a vst tamper. The Vst tamper is very comfortable and light with a nice rubber cushion. It feels very nice. The reg barber on the other hand is hefty and feels extremely weighty over the vst. Its also not as comfortable but still better than my lava tamper at home (ebay $20). A barista at a high volume cafe would prefer a vst tamper over the reg barber because its light, comfortable and solid.

I actually got one for Christmas because it was really that good ($170).

Aesthetics also play a role in the cost. Reg barber has some fancy looking tampers that contribute to the pricing.

Honestly though its up to you. As long as you get the same base size for your basket your good. There is no distinctive change taste wise. Its your money so do whatever you want. :)

haunce

#28: Post by haunce »

Ergo Packer from Espresso Vivace is the best choice. Available with swappable "pistons" from 53mm-58mm.

Ergonomic. Heavy. Flat. Does everything you need it to do perfectly and all the size options to boot. Everything you need in a tamper. Done.

HB
Admin

#29: Post by HB »

haunce wrote:Ergo Packer from Espresso Vivace is the best choice.
Really? They look clunky compared to most tampers I've used, but who knows, maybe it would grow on me. How long have you used the Ergo Packer and how does they compare against other tampers you've used?
Dan Kehn

haunce

#30: Post by haunce »

Honestly I have not had it for very long, I just picked it up.

It just does everything it needs to do perfectly. The biggest thing is fitting into the basket perfectly. I have had issues finding a tamper that does this perfectly (or as close to perfectly as possible). They always leave a ring and create a lip of espresso inside the basket after pressing. This one fits in nice and snug resulting in a extremely minimal lip, so you simply lightly tap it before your final press. Also since you can swap the bottom pistons for $20 each to any size between 53mm-58mm - all sizes should be entirely set.

Furthermore, its completely flat so its easiest to put level pressure on the espresso. Lastly your hands fit nicely with the little knob on top.

Only other one I'd like to try is the VST Tamper. Although it is $170.. which is insane:

I don't know what brand this one is (I bought it at a local shop) - its solid metal but it has a slight concave to the bottom as well as not fitting snugly in any basket I have ever used.