How good is the Hario Mini compared to the Baratza grinders?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Unrooted

#1: Post by Unrooted »

I currently have a Hario Mini that I did the minor tape mods on, it seems to work well for me to make pour over and Aeropress. I'd like to get an espresso machine eventually and I was wondering which Baratza machine would produce a better grind than the Mini for making espresso?

Maybe I should also mention that I'm a rock climber, so I just see the forearm pump I get while grinding as a form of training!

dilin

#2: Post by dilin »

Any Baratza is better than the Mini Mill, IMHO. Mini mill simply has too much fines for a properly extracted pourover.

Unrooted (original poster)

#3: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

Thanks, any opinion on how good the Mini is for espresso?

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

The best thing about the Mini mill is that you can travel with it, even backpack with it, without worrying about breaking it. You can do a lot better for espresso. But you'll also have to pay a lot more than $20.

Keep an eye on the reviews for Baratza's new Sette. That might be a grinder that can do double duty for brewing and espresso at a reasonable price. The grind speed on the Sette is a huge improvement over the Vario, which is the Baratza grinder most people will tell you to look at for espresso. And the Sette will hit the market at roughly the same price point as the Vario.

(If you are looking for a deal, the imminent Sette release might create a buyer's market for good used Varios. Some people won't be able to resist switching to the new machine.)

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

A refurbished Virtuoso from Baratza won't set you back much and will be miles better. Alternatively, if you want a travel & camping friendly hand grinder, check out the Lido 3 from Orphan Espresso or the MadeByKnock Feldgrind. The Hario mills are just too uneven in grind distribution, even if you add the special bearing kit that OE sells (which helps, but not enough to make it all worth it). As a rock climber myself, I can guarantee you that you won't get a pump from using the Hario (the pressure required is just too low), but you will get bored turning 100+ revolutions per shot. A Lido 3 is like buying three cams, except that it will last longer and you can use it every day of the year, rain, sleet, or shine.

Or like others have said, be patient and wait for the Sette.
LMWDP #435

#6: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

Rock climber in Florida?!?

I must be really out of shape because I always get a good pump when I'm grinding with the Mini Mill, I should probably put a fat rubber band around it because it's slicker than American Fork 5.10's!

I think that if I do decide to get an electric grinder I'll likely get a Quamar M80e.

The Lido 3 looks really burly, I think I saw some city kid bust out one of those along with an Aeropress, jet boil, and a scale under the Cave Problem in the Buttermilks when a snow flurry came in last winter and everyone had to hunker-down. I thought he was crazy at the time, must have been $400 worth of gear just to make himself a cup of coffee, plus he roasted his own beans. Now I can understand his nerdery.

vit

#7: Post by vit »

Unrooted wrote:Thanks, any opinion on how good the Mini is for espresso?
It's bad and modification makes it just worse, as it reduces self centering mechanism - on that plastic toy, you simply can't make inner burr centered within outer burr with a tolerance something like 0.1 mm or less, needed for espresso. Modification works only for coarser grind (to some extent). Also, it's way too slow for espresso

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

Yeah Florida is pretty grim in terms of climbing options, although we do have a nice gym here in town. Luckily the Birmingham/Atlanta/Chattanooga triangle isn't too far away, with some pretty incredible bouldering options. I'm still jealous that you live in Bishop though!

I got my start in climbing at the Red, and I used to be one of those weirdos camping behind Miguels' who always had a hand grinder and a jetboil press along for the ride, although I didn't roast back then. Got a lot of strange looks but it was always worth it, and people used to beg for my coffee once they had a taste of it.

The most pump I've ever gotten from using a handgrinder is my smoothly finished Hausgrind. When grinding lightly roasted beans for espresso, it can be quite a challenge to keep the body of the grinder from spinning along with the handle. Wrapping it in a silicone heat pad helps quite a bit, though, so you might also want to try that with your Mini Mill.

I don't see espresso equipment in your profile so the Quamar might not be a good fit for your use; espresso-focused grinders tend to be only OK for brewing. The Baratza offerings would probably serve you better.
LMWDP #435

#9: Post by Unrooted (original poster) »

I'm working my way towards an espresso machine, probably an Andreja. I was thinking that I might be able to use the mini at first, then get the grinder, but maybe I need to ensure I have the money for both at the same time?

Bishop is pretty amazing, if you love climbing more than people or money!

9Bar

#10: Post by 9Bar »

I get fantastic espresso pours from my Hario Mini. Sweet and smooth. But, you really have to do at least the most simple upgrade before you can get what you're looking for... replace the tri-shapped finger nut grind selector under the cone burr with a 6m lock-nut and a washer. (from HDepot) The lock nut has a nylon insert that holds it in any position - making the Mini truly stepless. The lock-nut is quite tight so you'll need a tiny wrench or pliers to make an adjustment, but once you're there, it will stay there.

I use a Baratza Preciso weekday mornings, and when I have guests over, but weekends when I have time, I look forward to shots ground in the Hario Mini.