High Quality Single Boiler Machine Only for Espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
msulzer

#1: Post by msulzer »

My experience with single boiler machines is that they are a compromise between two disparate functions, and are mostly designed with too little thermal mass in the head, and too small a boiler without good regulation. The single boiler heat transfer machines are wonderful to think about, but that technique is still a compromise. Is there a machine with a high thermal mass head, a large well regulated boiler, and no frills and compromises, that is, no frothy milk capability?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

The Quickmill Alexia with optional PID and The Arrarex Caravel also come to mind.
Dan Kehn

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

Or if you are handy, you could just build your own, like this guy did:

Anyone seen this diy espresso machine [video]
LMWDP #435

blueface

#5: Post by blueface »

How about soon to launch ECM Classika II with PID E61 Grouphead...

msulzer (original poster)

#6: Post by msulzer (original poster) »

Thanks for all the responses! The LM is a bit large and expensive. If it were the only thing out there I might find a way, or build my own. I have thought about that, but my projects tend to me more electronic than mechanical, and I really do not have the time now. The Classika II is very beautiful, but with the less expensive Alexia available, that is what I am thinking about most.

Carneiro

#7: Post by Carneiro »

There is the Bezzera Unica, already with PID, and the Bezzera BZ09 (not in the US...) for a different kind of group (as Jim say, it should be similar to Elektra Semiauto shots, and I can tell they are great).

Mark08859

#8: Post by Mark08859 »

HB wrote:The Quickmill Alexia with optional PID and The Arrarex Caravel also come to mind.
+1 on the Alexia.

aerojrp

#9: Post by aerojrp »

HB wrote:The Quickmill Alexia with optional PID and The Arrarex Caravel also come to mind.
+2 on the Alexia. With PID it's Awesome!

Jim

WSH

#10: Post by WSH »

"There is the Bezzera Unica, already with PID, .........."

I decided to go with the Unica when shopping for the same thing. Less expensive than the Alexia, and I thought the Bezzera line has great fit and finish. The Alexia's boiler is larger though, .75 L to the Unica's .5 L
The Unica also comes from the factory with a Lever on/off steam control, that I find quicker and easier to use than the standard twist on/off valve.