Help with a Home Coffee Bar

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mgold

#1: Post by Mgold »

My wife and I own and use a Keurig, but my wife has often talked about how great it would be to have a "coffee bar" in the house. I know this at least includes the ability to make a quality espresso and having a milk frother. Out side of those items, I'm open to ideas and hope to gather suggestions. I'm a newbie when it comes to most things relating to coffee so please don't assume I will understand much. My wife is half Italian and has visited family in Italy a number of times while growing up, so if it helps you, that would be the region to draw inspiration from when it comes to the type/way which the machine(s) produce(s) drink(s).

I'm not sure if there is a single machine to be trusted with many functions or if i need multiple machines but I'd accept either. Ideally I'd hope for no machine to be taller than 19 inches, but if that's not possible, I can work around it. Also, while quality is important I will likely not be interested in the highest priced option as I'm hoping to spend no more than $1,000USD on the whole coffee bar, if possible. Lastly and maybe not quite as important, I will also need to purchase some vessels for the varied drinks we will soon be producing.

Thank you very much in advance for anyone who can help me or at least offer advice in any form. I'm hoping for this to be a Christmas gift so it's a time sensitive (and large) request.
Thank you again,
Marty

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I posted this in another thread today... I recommend you peruse How to choose an espresso machine and grinder at the "right" price. I'll also modestly suggest you watch my video "Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Buying Advice":
You can also read the conclusions of the reviews to get a better idea of what's involved. Your budget of $1000 isn't quite in "espresso bar" range, but it's more than enough for an excellent coffee bar (i.e., grinder + pourover). Once you've done a bit of research, come back with more specifics of your goals and budget.
Dan Kehn

Mgold (original poster)

#3: Post by Mgold (original poster) »

Thank you so very much for your quick and quality reply.

As I'm trying not to ask my wife any questions, so it can be a surprise, how much over $1,000USD, roughly, may be needed......also, do you understand the phrase "Coffee Bar"? I don't. Would you (or others) be able to point me in the right direction as to what I need other than an espresso machine please?

Thank you. I will be reading your link and watching your video now.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

There's no universally accepted definition of "coffee bar". To many, that means an espresso machine and grinder. To others, it means a grinder and pourover. And to some, it means a Keurig and flavored non-dairy creamers. Sorry, the answer to your question begins with understanding what your wife means when she says it.
Dan Kehn

MNate

#5: Post by MNate »

I'd look through the extremely long thread where people post pics of their espresso setups, maybe starting from the end: Post a pic of your home espresso setup.... Don't drool over the equipment though because there is a lot of spendy stuff in that thread ($5,000 to $10,000 is not uncommon on it).

Many there have a dedicated coffee space I'd call a coffee bar. An IKEA cart/table ($100), some little art above it ($50), some coffee equipment, and maybe a few nice cups. I'd start with that, depending on your space...

Plus what I did four years ago at Christmas was got my wife a Chemex ($40) or some sort of pour over coffee device ($100), plus a Bonavita goose neck kettle, plus a grinder that could do either coffee grinding or espresso, realizing that for now you'll do coffee. It might get an espresso maker another year. The Baratza Sette would be my choice now ($400).

That's how I'd do it!

Mgold (original poster)

#6: Post by Mgold (original poster) »

HB wrote:Your budget of $1000 isn't quite in "espresso bar" range, but it's more than enough for an excellent coffee bar (i.e., grinder + pourover). Once you've done a bit of research, come back with more specifics of your goals and budget.

Im still researching, but I'd like to adresss your comment about a grinder and pour over. One thing I know my wife would love is a frother. Is that something I'd be able to buy as stand alone item along with the pour over vs an espresso machine? Thank you

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Most espresso machines have steam wands, so a frother isn't necessary. Please review Dan's suggested video for newcomers. That will help you come up with more useful questions. If you are only doing pourover, a Bellman stovetop steamer is a possibility rather than a frother. Otherwise, here's a good frother with an espresso machine attached. :wink:

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

seakuv

#8: Post by seakuv »

Mgold wrote:One thing I know my wife would love is a frother. Is that something I'd be able to buy as stand alone item along with the pour over vs an espresso machine?
Yes, you can buy stand alone milk frothers. I have no personal experience with this model, but Breville makes one - BMF600XL. It might fit well with a pour over type setup for a coffee bar.

Headala

#9: Post by Headala »

MNate wrote:I'd look through the extremely long thread where people post pics of their espresso setups, maybe starting from the end: Post a pic of your home espresso setup.... Don't drool over the equipment though because there is a lot of spendy stuff in that thread ($5,000 to $10,000 is not uncommon on it).

Many there have a dedicated coffee space I'd call a coffee bar. An IKEA cart/table ($100), some little art above it ($50), some coffee equipment, and maybe a few nice cups. I'd start with that, depending on your space...

Plus what I did four years ago at Christmas was got my wife a Chemex ($40) or some sort of pour over coffee device ($100), plus a Bonavita goose neck kettle, plus a grinder that could do either coffee grinding or espresso, realizing that for now you'll do coffee. It might get an espresso maker another year. The Baratza Sette would be my choice now ($400).

That's how I'd do it!
I think this is great advice. If your wife is anything like mine, "coffee bar" may mean more of a look than a function...so why not surprise her with a cart/table, some coffee-centered artwork, some distinctive cups/saucers, and maybe a nice grinder that's capable of pourover or espresso should you go that route (like maybe a Baratza Vario). You'll have tons of headroom left in your budget to discover, together, what the function of a "coffee bar" is but she will be delighted with the effort you made and the look of what you've done.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Generally espresso grinders are different than pourover grinders. You can certainly start with pourover if you're not ready for espresso. Our Buying Advice section will have good choices.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!