Help upgrade espresso machine with $700 budget - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
sqroot3

#11: Post by sqroot3 »

BarryR wrote:In what way do you use the scale to measure output? I don't mean how do you measure it, but what, exactly, do you do with the measurements?

I always use a scale to measure my drip and espresso beans, but haven't used it for the coffee which is output. The thought occurred to me for espresso, but I didn't know what I'd do with the info.

PS: I have the American Weigh AMW-2000 Digital Bench Jewelry Food Kitchen Scale 2000 gram x 0.1g. The fact that it goes up to 2 Kg makes it very useful for roasting beans and other kitchen uses, and the 0.1 gm precision is useful for dosing.
hmm, as i see it, to dial in a dose/grind/extraction ratio (ristretto? regular?) and thereafter to achieve consistency, taking much of the guesswork out of the equation when pulling the same roast by defining output by a number, rather than more subjective measures--blonding or extraction time. cf. an excellent thread and a canonical one: Digital espresso or a way to consistency and Brewing ratios for espresso beverages.

love those aws scales...admittedly, i have the 100 x 0.01 g scale, so I end up using a tiny bell pitcher to catch my shot.

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

So with the portafilter removed I measured how long it would take to fill 2oz.... It takes about 20-22 seconds to fill 2oz. Seems a little low.
Yes, there is something very wrong.

For example, a typical home machine in this class range will flow 2 ounces in about 6 seconds. For lack of a better term, I think you could call this the flushing flow rate. Whether it is the pump itself or the hydraulic path from the pump to the group should be investigated a little further. What pump is in this machine?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

pacificmanitou

#13: Post by pacificmanitou »

Wait, that rate is the unrestricted flow? Oh dear. With the machine in question being a consumer appliance, the pump is most likely a cheap vibe pump. My experience with this type of machine (purchased one for $20 to use at work for a bit) tells me this is also the norm for them. I doubt you could fix that without major mods.
LMWDP #366

stangdriverdoug (original poster)

#14: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

Thank you for the responses.

I'm simply using a scale to weigh the grams of coffee after it has been grinded. I'm measuring 14grams.

As far as the flow rate I thought it was really low. I took the top off and it's a little ukla pump. Took apart the pump, boiler, everything I could see to make sure everything is clean. I just think either it's a cheap machine or a bad pump... Or both lol.

I ran into a bit more cash and am looking at the Lelit pl41tem and the Crossland cc1.also I can get a Breville infuser for 250 - 300 less then those. I'm going to stay away from used and lever machines as I prefer the automatic. Any thoughts?

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

Call our approved vendors, tell them your budget and your usage pattern and let them recommend. All are trustworthy. Maybe they'll have something refurb or close-out that will give you more machine for your money. See the Resources page for that list.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#16: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

That sounds like good advice. I'll give them a call.

ryanjg11

#17: Post by ryanjg11 »

One more option might be a pre-owned Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder. I just bought this setup, used, for the office and was able to do it all right around $500. Sadly, that's just the first step in what will become a very expensive hobby for you. :D

#18: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

I have narrowed it down to a Lelit PL41TEM or the Crossland CC1 V1.5. Going new so I can rely on a warranty for a while. They are both different machines. Now that I have money in hand I'll probably call 1st Line and see what they say. Any opinions?

Also I am going to try this with a Breville Smart grinder and see how it goes. If it can't grind fine enough / consistent enough I will return it and look for something else. I figured before I go through the hassle of cleaning it and boxing back up, returning and being without something for a bit I'll at least try first. Reason why I got it was I had a %20 off BB&B coupon so I only paid $150 for it.

Not2Bitter

#19: Post by Not2Bitter »

I know you're looking to buy new and I was at first as well, but I ended up going with a restored olympia Maximatic. Now that I have played with a lot of other machines. I think it would be very hard to find a machine new for under 1500 I would be as satisfied with. Yes there are other machines that perform similarly tward the top of that price range, but I doubt I would trust the build quality and reliability that I found in my 20 year old simple machine doesn't hurt that the shot quality is top notch. I even picked up another one I am in the process of rebuilding because I know how nice these machines are.

Btw I came across mine for $500 sometimes they go for more but not a lot more.

#20: Post by stangdriverdoug (original poster) »

Thank you for the advice everyone. I ended up taking back the Breville Smart grinder to BB&B for a full refund, and ordered a Crossland CC1 & Baratza Vario grinder. Returning the Smart grinder I was able to stretch my budget from $700 to $850 (this is a great deal) to make this happen. I'll keep this updated as I get my machine and start to dial it in. Thank you again!