Help me with choosing a tamper style

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CoffeeBeetle

#1: Post by CoffeeBeetle »

I'm planning to buy a OE tamper in 45mm for my Riviera, but I simply cannot choose which style. I know that this is a pretty unimportant part of my setup, but for some reason this makes it harder to choose!
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Flat-D ... _p_20.html
Which handle style do you use, or would use of those styles?
There is of course also their all steel one:
http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-45mm-O ... _p_22.html

BenKeith

#2: Post by BenKeith »

Man, that is totally personal preference and what feels best to you. I has to fit the way you hold it when you tamp. I make my own and I've probably made a dozen different heads and a couple dozen different handles to get to the one I'm using now. I tried the skinny stems and never found a way that was comfortable to hold those. I've tried the ball and that never felt right. I like the modified version of the ball. Smaller but still rounded on top, but with a fatter section under it. I also like a little thicker head. I want my head to be a little above the edge of the basket. That seems to give me a better feel with my fingers of the rim to level it. However, the one I use, the next person may hate. I also have one of just about every shape, from Euro Dome to flat and all in between. The one I'm using now has a .025 covex to fit the exact curve of the VST basket. Then I have another that's flat bottom but has a spring in the handle to preset tamp pressure that I will use sometimes if I start having problems. Not sure that helps or hurts but it works for me. Plus, I also have a fairly large hand. Like, I wear a size 15 ring and it takes an XXL pair of gloves to fit me.

I would also make sure it's made to fit you basket properly. I try to keep my side clearance to approx. .008". Some of the tamps the people sale are generic size and are actually way too small for a lot of baskets. I think the custom guys ask what size basket you have so the tamp fits.

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

Given I have quite a few (my collection > 20 now) maybe this post might be useful.

Here are a few I like:
St Anthony industries thoroughgood
Tamperbell (any)
Concept arts pop
kvdm adjustable
Stone Age

If your asking for advice on what feels nice you're really on your own. I will say as some who has small hands, they are not stumps and I find no problem using ANY tamper to get the job done. That said some obviously fit better in my hands than others. So in that regard, if there were a "one size fits all" handle, I'd say the pop handles from concept arts are fun and easy to use for all but the largest of hands. I use it the most before I started making my own tampers.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

I tend to prefer the all stainless ones from OE. Their narrow tops make it easier to do a light finger press on the bottom part of the tamper, which is my preferred method for lever shots. They are also a bit easier to clean.
LMWDP #435

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

Black Ball style.
Scott
LMWDP #248