Help me decide on new grinder, $600 to $800 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
docjcf

#1: Post by docjcf »

Hello,

I have been reading for a long time. Thanks for all the help.

I started with a Gaggia Classic x 2 that lasted for 10 yrs. I now upgraded to an HX expobar office lever with Eric's thermometer for the last yr. I have had a Gaggia MDF with stepless Mod for the last 7 yrs or so. I feel I need a new grinder. This one is just ok but not consistent and get a lot of clumping. I do WDT every time.

I have a budget of around 600-800. What do u guys think?

Best regards

John

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

Id try to find a used Major or spend a little more for a fiorenzato doge conical. Fan favorite here is k10, but that sells for $1500. You could also get a pharos or HG one at or around your budget, but then hand grinding is necessary. All of these grinders will eliminate the necessity of doing WDT. There are lesser options that would greatly improve your experience, but they would also require WDT. Among these are Mazzer Super Jolly, Compak k6, or Baratza Vario/Forte. I recommend nothing under this class of grinder.
LMWDP #366

russel

#3: Post by russel »

I would look around for a Compak K6 Pro Barista. If you can find one used it's a great grinder that comes in at the bottom of your budget; quiet, stepless, fantastic doser - no WDT, good at being run with a hopper or single dosed. You should be able to pick it up new for $800 if you make a few calls.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I have two Super Jolly grinders and don't WDT. Maybe I should? I can dial them in pretty consistently, especially the one with the doser.

But back to the OP's question. You've got a budget and you want improvement. Yes, throwing more money at a grinder will improve things. But what would make you happy for years to come so you don't feel a desire to upgrade?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Dburns

#5: Post by Dburns »

I love my Macap 4 doserless. 4 yrs running w no issue at all

docjcf (original poster)

#6: Post by docjcf (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice.
drgary wrote:But what would make you happy for years to come so you don't feel a desire to upgrade?
I was thinking about that and may want to increase budget some to not have upgraditis in the near future. Looked at K10 fresh vs K10 pro barista. What are your thoughts? Is there a huge difference between the k10 and something like a baratza forte?

Thanks

John

cmin

#7: Post by cmin »

docjcf wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I was thinking about that and may want to increase budget some to not have upgraditis in the near future. Looked at K10 fresh vs K10 pro barista. What are your thoughts? Is there a huge difference between the k10 and something like a baratza forte?

Thanks

John
Vario/Forte is great and the reg Vario is a performance bargain far outperforming it's price and going toe to toe with more expensive grinders, but once you get to the Titan class grinders there's difference in the cup. And going to that from an MDF would be like going from a Miata to a Gallardo lol

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

The K10 PB costs less and has a reputation for being better for single dosing. It's also been the gold standard, equivalent to the Mazzer Robur and titan grinders with similar sized burrs. If you get one of these you won't be second guessing yourself unless you hit the lottery. If you do people are extolling a huge and expensive brew grinder, the Mahlkonig EK 43 that runs in the mid $2K range at street price. I don't see myself getting one of those ever and would rather concentrate on upping the quality of my greens and my roasting. If you want to hand grind with easy ergonomics you can get the HG one grinder for under $950, and it will be equivalent to the Compak K10 models. The least expensive of those hand grinders with equivalent grind quality is the Orphan Espresso Pharos for $245. I have one of those and don't find it difficult to use but that's because I'm just grinding a few shots for myself in the morning. And it's fine with my hand strength. If I wanted to step up my kit it would be for a Compak K10 PB. Check prices. Sometimes our approved vendors will discount them.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by pizzaman383 »

1st-line has a Fiorenzato Doge Conico for $899. I have the 83mm flat version. It's a high quality grinder.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”