Help me choose: Kony, K10 or K30 or something else?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Joco

#1: Post by Joco »

I'm on the search for a new grinder. I won't bore you with the sordid details as to exactly why now, but they are all captured within the virtual walls of these forums.

Here are my requirements.

1. Must provide the a consistent extraction, I don't want to go WDT distribution... the closest I can get to dose, tamp, pull. (so that means, no clumps, little static, etc)
2. Be relatively non-messy, that is not throw grounds all over the counter (like the Mazzer's left shoot)
3. I would prefer doserless, but if it meets the above I will consider it
4. Not require modifications to meet the above (i.e. Elvinator for Mazzer doser)
5. Offer the best price vs performance
6. Fit under 21" of cabinet (optional)
7. Offer a great tasting shot

Any help thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

I would suggest without trying to sound rude , that what you want doesn't exist within an on demand model.
With the possible exception of a versalab which I haven't tried which isn't on demand .
All on demand grinders will clump to some point depending on the bean, how fine you grind and even the electrics and wiring in the room you use them in .
Re dosers the anfim doser has a very good reputation for lack of waste and mess from being used in the barista competitions. I don't know how a k10 doser compares to this.
Get used to having to put some kind of prep into your espresso .

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

The K10 P/B would meet all your requirements except #4 as you would want to mod the chute to make sweeping it out easier. Of course if installing an Elvinator is considered too much work then I'm sure sweeping the chute would be out also. :roll:
LMWDP 267

Joco (original poster)

#4: Post by Joco (original poster) »

Mrboots2u wrote:Get used to having to put some kind of prep into your espresso .
See that's where I have a problem. I have been to countless top coffee shops in DC and NYC and NONE of the them go through the rituals everyone writes about on here. They grind, tamp and pull and get great tasting shots.

Joco (original poster)

#5: Post by Joco (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:The K10 P/B would meet all your requirements except #4 as you would want to mod the chute to make sweeping it out easier. Of course if installing an Elvinator is considered too much work then I'm sure sweeping the chute would be out also. :roll:
I don't take issue with the Elvinator, per se, its that once installed it causes ALOT of retention in the doser chute.

Actually I have been leaning towards the K10 P/B.... I don't mind sweeping the doser, thats not a big deal since it doesn't need to be done after every shot. Im not single dosing so a little bit of cleanup at the end of the day isn't a big deal.

EricC
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by EricC »

I would recommend the Elektra Nino as it will satisfy the majority of your requirements.
1. Must provide the a consistent extraction, I don't want to go WDT distribution... the closest I can get to dose, tamp, pull. (so that means, no clumps, little static, etc)
YES
2. Be relatively non-messy, that is not throw grounds all over the counter (like the Mazzer's left shoot)
YES
3. I would prefer doserless, but if it meets the above I will consider it
YES
4. Not require modifications to meet the above (i.e. Elvinator for Mazzer doser)
YES
5. Offer the best price vs performance
This is a personal decision.
6. Fit under 21" of cabinet (optional)
This will NOT fit with the normal hopper however if you fit a borosilicate glass tube as a mini hopper it comes in at 20.5 inches.
7. Offer a great tasting shot
DEFINITELY

Joco (original poster)

#7: Post by Joco (original poster) »

EricC wrote:Elektra Nino
Any idea where to get a Nino in the US? and price?

EricC
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by EricC »

It is available here :

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Elektr ... -p5493.htm

and was on a thread here :

Elektra Nino Grinder

Joco (original poster)

#9: Post by Joco (original poster) replying to EricC »

Wow. And I thought a Robur was expensive. I was hoping to find something a little lower in price.

The Versalab seems interesting and a little more tolerable on price.... HMMM....

EricC
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by EricC »

I bought mine from here :

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/products.php?cat=16

I am not sure whether the group buy we did a few years ago was from the same company, however they did ship to the US.

If you look at the thread link in my previous post it may have the details.

Good luck with your decision.