Help Identify Faema Grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zambonin

#1: Post by Zambonin »

I'm new to the espresso world but HB is a great place to learn from and has been helping me along the way.

I found a grinder for sale in my city. I am trying to find out more info on this guy but it's pretty hard to get anything online. The seller only says it is a "Faema Commercial Grinder". He also said the only thing on the machine to identify it is "N36176". Anyone have any idea what this machine could be? It is for sale for $150 Canadian and the burrs were replaced last year. It looks like a Faema FP but I haven't seen any online with the cord out of the side, the doser handle on the left and this colour. I currently have an Ascaso IMini which need the burrs replaced. If it is in good working condition, any idea what a good used price would be?

I tried this post on coffeegeek but didn't get a response, hopefully I can get some info here.

LMWDP #547

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

The main body looks like a Faema FP, but I'm not sure I've seen one with a doser quite like that. I have no idea about the grind quality, but I have seen a well restored one sell for almost a grand. There are some people who really have a soft spot for well functioning antiques.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

Looks like a FP, not sure if it's 64 or 54mm flatburrs but I do know they can sure be pretty:

Bluecold

#4: Post by Bluecold »

Definitely a Faema FP, they've been made with slight variations since at least 1950
http://www.espressomadeinitaly.com/gall ... altoni.asp

I do think it's newer than the Maltoni one I think as it has a less ornate doser lever. However, I think it's from before 1972, as Faema used the logo incorporating the Duomo di Milano on the 1972 Faema Metodo, but not on your grinder (also found in the Maltoni link).
But I could be completely off the mark as well, and Faemas grinder devision could've just not cared about the new corporate style for their grinder.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Zambonin (original poster)

#5: Post by Zambonin (original poster) »

Thanks for the help so far. Any idea on grind quality out of a machine like this or is it really just depending on the burr size. My imini has 38mm conicals so I'd like it to be a step up from that if it going to buy it. Any idea on a used price. I'm tempted to get this guy and just try it out but I don't want to spend $150 if it'll just be a lateral move in grinders.
LMWDP #547

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

If it runs and the bearings sound ok I'd buy and try...you can hardly lose money on it if you decide it's no improvement (which I guess it should be having bigger burrs and all that). There lots of folks starting out on their espresso journey that would gladly buy this vintage grinder, I would have bought it at that price, just for looks (though I really want the chrome version as it matches the faemina in design...)
LMWDP #483

dominico
Team HB

#7: Post by dominico »

I don't know the burr size, but it was designed for espresso, for commercial use in cafes with a very high customer throughput. The seller says they replaced the burrs last year? Ask them what burrs they used as the replacement. That should give you an idea as to their size.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

Advertisement
Zambonin (original poster)

#8: Post by Zambonin (original poster) »

Going from peoples responses, i think i'm going to give it a try. I cleaned out my imini the other night and am having issues with it now. I am choking my grinder now. I do have a new beans from a roaster i haven't tried before so maybe they are just harder and more dense. Or I should change out the burrs right away.

Just heard back from the seller. Says it runs on 220v but they use it on 110v and its been working fine. Is this something to be concerned on. I don't have access to 220 since i'm in an older apartment. They aren't sure on what burrs were put into the machine.
LMWDP #547

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn replying to Zambonin »

I had a Mazzer SJ from the early 90s that was 220, but it had a 110 plug.. it ran like a charm. I wonder if SJ burrs work in this?

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl »

http://www.nuova-ricambi.de/shop/en/508962 if it's an FP these should fit and appear to be 54mm
LMWDP #483