Helor 101 = the only actually readily available good manual grinder?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
osel

Postby osel » May 13, 2017, 2:18 am

Looking into manuals, and wherever I poke Pharos and feldgrinds are sold out, Helor appears to be readily available online from their own store. Taste-wise how does it compare to electrics? What price range electrics are comparable to Helor in the cup?

Another manual I see a lot is Rok, how does that compare in quality? I saw a clip on youtube of it being compared to a $500 Vario and holding its own just fine.

Signed up on Pharos waiting list.. I'm guessing sometime before I die I may hear from them. Meanwhile what are my other good manual options?

much appreciate any and all advice!

real roasters for real people
Sponsored by Mill City Roasters - real roasters for real people
Stanic

Postby Stanic » May 13, 2017, 5:54 am

also the Kinu are available if I am not mistaken

yoshi005

Postby yoshi005 » May 13, 2017, 7:51 am

Also available is the Commandante mk3. And what about the lido?

osel

Postby osel » May 13, 2017, 9:12 am

yoshi005 wrote:Also available is the Commandante mk3. And what about the lido?

Thanks, I'll check those out. Do you know how they would compare in a cup?

yoshi005

Postby yoshi005 » May 13, 2017, 9:52 am

I own a feldgrind, but I guess that kinu m38, helor 101, feldgrind, commandante and lido e will almost be identical in the cup when grinding for espresso. Some people say that the commandante is better suited for filter than the others.

Pharos, kinu m68, helor 102 are faster and in my opinion better for espresso but worse for filter.

osel

Postby osel » May 19, 2017, 1:20 am

Went with Helor 101. Ordered from their website 4 days ago. Haven't heard anything since... E-mailed yesterday.. Nothing..

:?:

*shrug*

ravco

Postby ravco » May 19, 2017, 4:11 pm

If I remember rightly it took them a week to 10 days to send my grinder off. You get a shipment notification.

home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore - home of Cafelat products online
osel

Postby osel » May 19, 2017, 4:32 pm

ravco wrote:If I remember rightly it took them a week to 10 days to send my grinder off. You get a shipment notification.

Oh, thanks for heads up. I guess I got spoiled by Amazon delivering everything free in a day or two and often in several hours.

Ellejaycafe

Postby Ellejaycafe » May 19, 2017, 4:51 pm

osel wrote:Looking into manuals, and wherever I poke Pharos and feldgrinds are sold out, Helor appears to be readily available online from their own store. Taste-wise how does it compare to electrics? What price range electrics are comparable to Helor in the cup?

Another manual I see a lot is Rok, how does that compare in quality? I saw a clip on youtube of it being compared to a $500 Vario and holding its own just fine.

Signed up on Pharos waiting list.. I'm guessing sometime before I die I may hear from them. Meanwhile what are my other good manual options?

much appreciate any and all advice!

You should post a WTB (willing to buy) thread in the buy/sell forum asking if anyone would be willing to sell their Pharos. I purchased a Pharos a few months back by simply asking if anyone wanted to sell. A week after posting I received Pharos #376 (updated with every mod and update OE released; so almost exactly like the ones being sold now) for a heck of a price, $165 including shipping. I also received 7-8 other offers from members willing to sell their Pharos. Some were stock, at least 3 had the voodoodaddy mods, and all were asking a fair price. Worth a shot if you indeed want a Pharos.

FWIW I love my Pharos and it suits my limited home barista needs better than any other grinder out there, manual or electric.
LMWDP #544