Hario V60 Scale for Espresso?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
JerDGold

#1: Post by JerDGold »

I know this scale is meant more for pourovers, but will it do essentially the same thing as, say, a Brewista? I'm looking for an easy way to time and weigh my shots without pulling out my phone/timer and taring a scale.

max

#2: Post by max »

I don't use it the way you suggest, but I have to point out something which bothers me with the scale generally. From zero, regardless of TAREd or from start, it won't register the first few (~2-3) grams. Mostly this is not an issue, especially not for the use case you describe, but if you're considering buying one, I think it's good to know.

Advertisement
Gaius

#3: Post by Gaius »

I bought brewista scale instead of harios, manly because its size, i can fit brewista on my tray, hario scale in much bigger.

Also regarding the time when the first drops happen i can confirm that its better than hario again, because it registers from 1.1-1.2g on.

lawn_wrangler

#4: Post by lawn_wrangler »

I use the Hario for pour overs and espresso, though I wasn't aware of the Brewista when I bought my scale last year.

I generally like the scale's look, size, feel and function. Would you be weighing your shots on the fly with the scale on the tray, or waiting until the shot is finished? Although the Hario fits on my Silvia's smallish tray (sideways), I've found that it doesn't seem to register as quickly as I'd like so I don't weigh shots real time--I just tare the demitasse and weigh the finished shot (based on time and blonding if I have the roast dialed in).

Hope this helps.

sonofjorel

#5: Post by sonofjorel »

I haven't used a Brewista so I can't speak about it. I used a Hario V60 for espresso for about 3 months and grew tired of it. The response time is lacking in that the scale takes a second or two to settle on a weight. I single dose and weighing out the beans became a chore. If I'm trying to hit 18 grams I'll throw in let's say 15-16 grams into a container on the tared scale. I'll wait a couple seconds for the scale to settle. I'll throw in a few more beans and wait another couple seconds. Then I'll add 4 more beans. Wait again. Take out a bean or two. Wait again. Ok, now I'm good to go. Does the 10 or so extra seconds waiting around really change anything even if it happens several times a day? No, but it became a nuisance to me.

Weighing my shot was another matter. If I'm trying to get a 30 gram shot I may get anywhere from 25-33 grams. I use a lever so I can't cut the shot off, I need to pull the glass away. If I pull the cup when I see the scale hit 30 grams, the slow response time means there may actually be 32-33 grams in the cup. I tried accounting for the response time by pulling the cup early, say when the scale reads 27 or 28 grams. That usually worked fairly well and I could get within 1 gram of my target. But sometimes it didn't work at all. Sometimes the scale would read 28 grams when I pulled my cup and when I weighed the final product I would have 25 or so grams.I have no idea how the scale would at times read higher than what was actually in the cup. And no, nothing spilled out of the cup when I moved it.

If you're not gunning for exact measurements with your shots and you don't mind being off by several grams here or there then the V60 should be fine. But I think a $10-15 American Weigh scale and the timer on your phone are a better option.

Kellyk

#6: Post by Kellyk »

Why not the Brewista? IT is very slick. 4 automatic functions and two manual. Autotare with timer start on first drop or when you use button sounds like what you want.

JerDGold (original poster)

#7: Post by JerDGold (original poster) replying to Kellyk »

I'd love a Brewista, I just don't feel ike spending $60 dollars, and there happens to be a Hario Scale in the Buy/Sell right now...but I'm not sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on it. THanks for all the responses...doesn't sound like it's for me.

Advertisement
max

#8: Post by max replying to JerDGold »

I feel the same way, and also found my Hario second hand. However, at this point I wish I had a Brewista. I have never used it so can't say whether it's worth 60, but, as Marc explained above, the Hario is tedious!

If you buy the Hario, buy it because it's a scale, not because it's the scale you want (and budget for it accordingly)