Grinder Upgrade Dilemma

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ves Paul

#1: Post by Ves Paul »

So the Saeco Gran Crema is retired after 8 years of sturdy and predictable use. The steam knob's valve shaft stripped and shot across the room in a hissing, steamy display. It was pretty cool. I've decided to upgrade and have purchased the Gaggia New Baby.

Now after about a dozen attempts at a drinkable shot, I'm realizing that the Capresso Infinity grinder I have is probably not going to cut it. After reading several posts, I'm thinking that the Gaggia MDF grinder would be a good choice as an "affordable" upgrade. Trouble is, I don't have that $200 right now. I do, however, have the $50 it would take to purchase the parts I need to repair the Gran Crema (Steam Valve Body - Valve Shaft).

So, there's my dilemma. Do I purchase a food scale and sally forth into the learning process that comes with the New Baby using my current grinder, or do I repair the SGC and wait to learn and use the GNB when I've acquired a sufficient grinder and the necessary tools? Or, I suppose I could do neither and just start saving for the grinder purchase and... *shudder* not drink espresso for a while.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Dooglas

#2: Post by Dooglas »

I presume the only reason you were getting an acceptable drink with your SGC and the Capresso Infinity is that the SGC has a pressurized portafilter while your new Gaggia has a conventional non-pressurized portafilter. Why not get a pressurized portafilter for the Gaggia and use that until you can upgrade your grinder? You should be able to pull a comparable shot.

Ves Paul (original poster)

#3: Post by Ves Paul (original poster) »

Your presumption is correct. I've looked back in the GNB's box and found several loose sheets of paper. One of which contains information about the "Crema Perfetta" portafilter basket and nozzle that come with the machine. From the language it looks like the effect is similar to a pressurized filter. I will give it a go and save my pennies for a grinder.

Thank you.