Grinder Suggestion for $1500 Budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gfcronus

#1: Post by Gfcronus »

I am a newbie to the world of home brewed espresso. I don't have any equipment yet, but I've been researching for a couple of weeks now. I don't want to start at the entry level because I know I will just want to upgrade pretty quickly anyway so why not just spend the money now? I'm looking to get a dual-boiler semi-automatic for an espresso machine, something like an Izzo Duetto or a Profitec 700. But before I get the machine, I want to get a grinder so I can start breaking it in. My budget for a grinder is around $1,500. I would lean towards an electronic doserless because of convenience and reduced waste, but I would not be adverse to a doser model if it checked all the right boxes. Size is not too much of a consideration because I have the space for it. Can anyone make some recommendations?

sonnyhad

#2: Post by sonnyhad »

A compak K 10 would fit the bill for a few more dollars. I don't have one but it seems to make many of this crowd happy and thats no small feat.
LMWDP 437

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Hard to go wrong with the K10 Pro Barista which can be had for around $1350 delivered. The electronic K10 Fresh is close to $2000 so out of your price range. If you plan to single dose you are better off with the P/B anyways.
LMWDP 267

keno

#4: Post by keno »

Gfcronus wrote:But before I get the machine, I want to get a grinder so I can start breaking it in.
Just curious, so how are you planning to break in a $1500 grinder without an espresso machine? Seems like a very unsatisfying situation to grind coffee with such a nice grinder and not be able to use it. Hope you don't have to wait too long to get a machine. :|

ds

#5: Post by ds »

Macap M7D

therabidweasel

#6: Post by therabidweasel »

I'll suggest what I have the Mahlkonig K30 Vario. It gets no love here because it is flat burr. However, if you take a look at Matt Perger's blog you will find it delivers a similar grind profile to the much more expensive EK43 with which he just won the WBC.

I don't argue taste blah blah. What I say is you can grind an 18g dose into the PF with one hand in 3.7 seconds and not have to busy yourself with all bothers of a doser. You will notice the speed makes a lot more difference than what people who continually fiddle with dosers would like to believe.

I'm about to be flamed for the above, but it's a great grinder IMHO.

deity6667

#7: Post by deity6667 »

therabidweasel wrote:I'll suggest what I have the Mahlkonig K30 Vario. It gets no love here because it is flat burr. However, if you take a look at Matt Perger's blog you will find it delivers a similar grind profile to the much more expensive EK43 with which he just won the WBC.

did he?

http://worldbaristachampionship.com/abo ... c/history/

Gfcronus (original poster)

#8: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) »

I was under the impression that some of these large commercial grinders needed to have several pounds of coffee cycled thru them before they were ready to grind coffee suitable for drinking. See, total newbie here. Anyway, it would only be a matter of 3-4 weeks between purchases. Enough time to split them between two credit card billing periods. Less shock to the system this way.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Gfcronus wrote:I was under the impression that some of these large commercial grinders needed to have several pounds of coffee cycled thru them before they were ready to grind coffee suitable for drinking..
And you'd be correct. 10-15lbs of stale coffee run through the new burrs should get you off to a good start or you could try the minute rice break in.
LMWDP 267

CoffeeSpeaks

#10: Post by CoffeeSpeaks »