Bezzera Mitica/QuickMill Vetrano DB

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
brianl

#1: Post by brianl »

Update 8/22/2014

I have decided that I REQUIRE the following:
-PID (HX or DB, either the machine comes with one or there is enough documentation out there to add one myself). This probably all but eliminated the elektra unless a PID can be added.
-Rotary Pump (with plumb in)
-Drain plumb in (I'm not sure how hard it is to add a tube to the bottom of a normal drip tray so this one might not matter)

I am thinking that although i might not be able to connect to the actual water line, I would like to use a 5 gallon bottle with the flowjet pump (is there any reason I wouldn't be able to do this?)

This choice has lingered since CCS has been out of stock of the Alex Tre and i'm not interested in one with scratches already.

Update 8/2/2014

I have currently narrowed it down to three choices

Izzo Alex Tre (read good things but i'm not familiar with this manufacturer as I am with others. The plus side is a option to tank or plumb AND a plumb for the drip tray). Around $1,995.

Bezzera Mitica (looks great and can also be plumbed later, has the slightly modified group design but as we agree its not much of a difference). Around $1,700.

Faema Carisma (very affordable and looks great. Has the smallest boiler and no option to plumb). I noticed that Chris Coffee is having a 'closeout' sale for new inventory. Is there a new model of this machine in the works?

I have the Quickmill Alexia in the back of my mind because I have not pulled a milk drink in probably six month. But back when I did I was churning out a few with my brief obsession with latte art, haha.

My Significant Other is a huge fan of the Elektra Micro Casa a Leva. However, I have read how unforgiving this machine can be and i'm still trying to decide how the results in the cup are compared to say the Alex Tre.

FINALLY, with any of these machines, do I need to worry about lead leaching into my coffee?

Old Message Below:

Hello,

I currently have a Gaggia Classic w/PID and a Baratza Vario. Where should my focus first go for updating? I am not really opposed to buying used.

I typically have straight espresso and have made milk drinks in the past but not consistently. I typically make one espresso a day with the potential for two back to back on the weekends (about 10 a week to be conservative). I would love to be able to plumb but I don't have a hookup for it and can't know for sure whether i'll get one. I don't believe that I have a 20A circuit so I don't know about anything too powerful. I don't know anything about lever machines but wouldn't be opposed if it's simple enough to learn. I typically single dose and do to the infrequency of shots, I don't think a doser is necessary on a grinder.

My inclination is to upgrade the machine but I couldn't help look at the compak's conicals, ha. I would say a budget is around $1,500 for this upgrade and I don't imagine getting both. I am fond of PID/Temperature control as well (after using it on the gaggia classic for a couple years) but have some electrical ability to add one myself with a little instruction.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

What are you looking to gain from an upgrade? i.e. better steaming power, temp control, recovery time etc. Or to put it another way, what don't you like about your current set-up?

brianl (original poster)

#3: Post by brianl (original poster) »

I would say temp control is a big downfall of the Gaggia Classic, even with the PID. It has that tiny boiler that makes my shots highly inconsistent it seems (hard for me to blame the VARIO).

The steam control/power is also lacking but like I said, I don't make many beverages (although this might be because of the annoyance of it all).

I am also a fan of the brighter/fruitier taste that you get from a bigger conical. However, I do have the virtuoso and Lido 2 that are passable (although not ideal but I haven't tried them yet for espresso).

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

You could easily go with a refurb'd Breville Dual Boiler from Seattle Coffee Gear, and if after the upgrade you want a conical grinder too you will probably have the cheese once you sell the Gaggia to get one.

I believe the BDB is the only machine that will give you what you want in your price.

brianl (original poster)

#5: Post by brianl (original poster) »

Oh, I just noticed that they released a newer model recently. I guess i'll see what reviews come in for it. I like the new cranberry color, stainless steel boiler, being able to do maintenance yourself. However, is this worth the 200$ difference i'm seeing in prices (for the steam pid and self maintenance)? maybe.

I think the boiler in the Gaggia classic is 3.5 oz? Is the new Breville going to be around 10oz like the older model?

da gino

#6: Post by da gino »

I'd upgrade the machine. My hunch is that the average shot with a Vario and an E-61 HX (I know you said you prefer a PID DB but that pushes you farther north in the price of the machine, perhaps past $1500) is going to be better than the average one with a Compak K10 and a Gaggia.

That said I've had both grinders, but not a Gaggia machine of my own.

This is not meant as a knock on the K10, which is amazing. If you already had say an Anita HX and a Vario and were deciding between a GS3 and a K10 I'd suggest the K10 would be the better upgrade.

Again all the shots I've had pulled on a Gaggia were pulled by someone who is not as fanatical about coffee as I am so take this advice with a slight grain of salt.

Intrepid510

#7: Post by Intrepid510 »

You are not going to have to worry about the brew temp. The brew boiler is preheated before entering, then both the group and brew boiler are pid'd as well. If you go slogging through the CoffeeGeek you can see the documentation that it hold's temps rock steady through brewing.

As far as the pricing that is up to.

gophish

#8: Post by gophish »

I was recently in a very similar situation with the same equipment, without a PID on my Classic. I knew if I wanted to further improve my drinks I needed to be able to consistently control temperature. Although I could have added a PID, I decided that the Classic still lacked the temp stability, preinfusion, recovery, steaming power, refinement, plumb-ability, etc of a prosumer grade machine. I now know that my machine is not the limiting factor, and although I am very happy with the very many conveniences of the Vario, I can also look forward to the buying process of upgrading my grinder down the road, should (when) I want to take it to the next step. For me, it was an easier call since I didn't have a PID.

As for the BDB, sites like SCG are selling the older model refurbs for pretty cheap, but I would think the serviceability of the newer model has some major perks for the likes of this audience.
Versalab

DanoM

#9: Post by DanoM »

Vario is a decent grinder. Quality in the cup is similar to a Super Jolly level, so you have a grinder that will still work well for any machine. I did replace my Vario with a K10, and it's a great upgrade, but this can wait as a K10 with a Gaggia would be a "waste of a grinder."

Gaggia should be upgraded. Granted, I haven't had a shot from a PID'd Gaggia, but I dare say you should be upgrading this before you upgrade your grinder.

Look for a good HX system. PID systems are available, but they aren't necessary. A good HX can deliver pulls as good as a double boiler. An HX can also be used to pull shots slightly hotter or cooler than normal too with some flushing knowledge. I think the HX gives you more versatility in the home environment. Many HX's to choose from new and used.

Breville would be the only double boiler system in your price range new, although used you might find a few machines available under $1500.

If you want to replace both. Then clean up your whole packaged system. Put it up on Craigslist as a set and see if anyone bites. I sold my Oscar, Vario, steam pitcher, espro tamper, naked PF and others as a set for a good price. Someone needed a starter setup for their father, and I had a full package for them.
A package deal like that should come close to funding a nice new grinder along with your new espresso machine.
LMWDP #445

brianl (original poster)

#10: Post by brianl (original poster) »

I had the initial hunch and all of you guys have help confirm that it's mostly the machine that needs to be updated.

With the breville, I was just worried about the boiler size for brew. However, if the water truely is preheated before entering the boiler (might need to figure out how much is preheated), it makes me feel much better (although something makes me think that I am misreading your reply). i'm used to the cool (or room temp) water entering the boiler with the gaggia classic.

I guess my whole thought process with the HX machines is that I didn't want to worry about flushing and temperature adjusting. I've heard that not flushing cant have issues but i'm sure this isn't true with all HX machines? The ability to frother and brew at the same time isn't a huge selling point. However, I do understand that I am just a home user so getting a commercial set up will just be wasted on me and wont do the machine justice. I'm a pretty open minded person though, so I won't rule anything out at this point.