Grinder for the office

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zoran

#1: Post by Zoran »

My office has better coffee options than most but they still pale in comparison to a fresh cup. I've picked up a Bonavita immersion brewer but am stuck on how to grind my coffee. I was one click away from buying a Hario Mini Mill grinder until I saw a reviewer say that it took 200 to 300 revolutions to grind enough for one cup. Even figuring 2 cranks a second, that's still a minute and half of grinding. I'm not averse to the effort but I'm worried that the sound of the grinding would annoy my cubemates. The alternative would be to get an electric grinder but I already have a Virtuso at home and it sames wasteful, not to mention expensive, to have another at the office. Anyone happen to have any recommendations? Thanks!

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

Have you considered the Orphan Espresso Lido series?

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

I see nothing wasteful about a second virtuoso. It gives fantastic quality for the price point, in a small package. Alternatively you could try the Lido 2, which will be quieter and even more compact.
LMWDP #435

SAB

#4: Post by SAB »

Or upgrade to a vario at home and bring the virtuoso to work? 8)

johnny4lsu

#5: Post by johnny4lsu »

Or just get an encore

Nick Name

#6: Post by Nick Name »

Can you get Wilfas in US? They're pretty common brew grinders in Scandinavia. You can get one for around 70€.

Bluecold

#7: Post by Bluecold »

Or one of those chinese Kalita Nice Cut Mill and similar grinders, the reports on those are quite decent in the Kalita Nice Cut grinder thread.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
Zoran (original poster)

#8: Post by Zoran (original poster) »

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking to do this somewhat on a budget (under $100), hence my main reason for almost going with the Hario Mill. I guess I need to keep an eye out on the Buy/Sell forum and Craiglist and see if I can get lucky finding a used electric.