Grinder/espresso machine combo, max budget $2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wishbone

#1: Post by wishbone »

As part of my divorce, my Silvia and Rocky combo I have had since 2006 stayed with the ex. I've been existing with french press, drip, and moka for about 9 months, but really want to get back into espresso. Thinking of a few options based on my situation, and wanted to throw them out there and see if my thinking is on the right track. Budget is unknown as I am waiting to see how incentive turned out, so I am thinking various combo's. Minimum budget should be $1,000, max $2,000, best guess is going to be around $1500.

I am currently living in an apartment, and suspect that will be true for the next 12-24 months. So space is very limited. What attracted me to the Silvia/Rocky combo in 2006 was their solid build. I am ok with disposable products, when I plan on their being disposable, but hate to spend a decent amount of money on things that won't last. I would eventually, when I am back into owned property, have a plumbed in machine, so I am thinking to go long term on the grinder, and am ok with a machine "rental".

I rarely drink milk based drinks, so steaming isn't a priority. I roast my own beans (Behmor roaster). I like SO coffees, and prefer the brighter compared to the deeper notes.

So my thoughts. Grinders first. I have a Breville Smart Grinder for other methods.

This is the one I want to be happy with for a long time. Seems to me the best compromise of quality versus cost is going manual, either a Pharo's or an HG One. Watching the videos of using both, and reading the reviews, I really want an HG One, the Pharo's looks harder to use and the whole plug/shake thing strikes me as a pain. Vario could be an option, but it seems like a machine that will give great cup results, but not last too long. Looks like the HG One will last forever.

Machines. This is the bigger challenge. What I will eventually want once life settles down does not fit my small kitchen or budget, so I do consider this a rental. I got fairly comfortable temperature surfing the Silvia, and I don't use the steamer much, so the options are more wide open.

I realized I am just rambling my thought and not really asking anything, so let me consolidate my question.

Which combo would you go suggest, with the caveat I am hoping to update the machine to a plumbed in machine in two years. Budget $1500 or less, goal is to have a long term grinder.

HG One with either a Gaggia Classic or Breville 840XL?

Or Pharo's and Ponte Vechio export?

Any other combo's suggested?

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#2: Post by EspressoForge »

Your choice of a HG-One is good in my opinion, but I may be biased. I love mine, and if you're willing to do the grinding it makes a great cup. The Pharos is definitely capable, but it will eventually leave you wanting an upgrade, unless it's part of a travel kit. Just my opinion, as I upgraded to a HG One from a Pharos.

For your machine, does it have to have milk steaming capability? If not, check out a vintage Caravel, they are great capable machines, but no milk and low shot volume. Still I think they make great temporary machines until you decide to go with a bigger HX or DB in the future, and even once you upgrade you may find you'll still break out the Caravel now and then for a weekend to have some nice "singles". I call them singles even though they are pulled using the double basket, because the shot volume is as such.

If you must have milk, you could look into stovetop/countertop steamers, otherwise I would look around the Buy/Sell forums on HB and other places and keep an eye out for a good deal. PV Export is great, and I believe even new you could get that and a HG-One and be around your $1500 mark.

Silvia/Rocky might have been a recommended combo a while ago, but now it's a fairly antiquated suggestion as for the same price I feel you can get a better cup easier. Consider yourself lucky to have been left without it and allowed to go with a better combo.

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Breville DB + Vario or HG-One.
Scott
LMWDP #248

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgwolf »

I would look at a Ponte Vecchio (or other) lever. They will give you an excellent cup and are simple, easily repairable, and will last for many years. I'm saying this in deference to your preferences for not buying disposable equipment. I own several levers (none of them a Ponte Vecchio), but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it since they all work similarly and they would be in your price range new.

Or, if you don't mind the disposable aspect, the Breville DB is said to do an excellent job (although not forever). Again, full disclosure, I've never seen one of these either, but I also don't like buying stuff that will break in a few years.

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

Crossland CC1 + Vario for $1,000; BDB + Vario or better; compact HX (bunch of different choices) + Vario or better; or small lever + Vario or better.
  • The CC1 is a good shot puller, with very limited steaming capability.
  • The difference in "build quality" of a BDB 920 compared to the European machines is restricted to the frame and skin. The mechanical stuff -- pump, solenoid, valves -- is all the same; same manufacturers, same parts bins; same same.

The complimentary ideas that (1) a 920 will fall apart the day the warranty expires, while (2) an Expobar Semiautomatic Leva will go generations without maintenance and occasionally replacing this or that component are equally absurd.

Nobody has any idea how long the current model BDB (BES920XL) will last. Unlike the previous model the user can conveniently descale it. FWIW, Breville post sales support is wonderfikkinfull -- mostly they just replace probllematic machines at their own expense (including shipping). If I were buying a BDB, I'd buy it from a retailer who provides its own extended warranty like BB&B or SLT, rather than a traditional espresso machine retailer.

The BDB is an incredibly user friendly machine; far more than anything else near your price range. Compared to a compact HX with a reasonably sized boiler, it has limited steam capacity.
  • When it comes to compact HXs, they're far more similar than not. Most use the E61 group. Bezzera and Pasquini use the Bezzera group. The Bezzera has better temp stability, the E61 has rudimentary preinfusion.

The brands I can think of offhand are: Bezzera, ECM; Expobar; Faema; Izzo Alex; La Nouva Era; Pasquini; Profitec; Quick Mill; Rocket, and Vibiemme. Of these, Expobar probably has the lightest build-quality, ECM and Profitec (same company, really) probably have the best.

Don't buy a new Bezzera BZ02 or NS Oscar. They're obsolete dragons. In addition, the Oscar lacks both an OPV and a vacuum breaker.
  • If you want a small lever you already know it.
  • Compared to the old "high end" standards like the Mazzer Mini and Compak K3, the Baratza Vario vastly out performs its price, while performing at the same or even slightly higher level "in the cup." Like the BDB, the Vario is very plasticky, there are serious questions about ruggedness and post-sale's manufacturer support is beyond excellent. Unlike the BDB, the questions about ruggedness seem better founded, however the fixes are cheap and Baratza will walk you through them.

The better alternatives to a Vario, without blowing out your budget by too much, are a bunch of grinders, mostly with front mounted dosers in what I call "the Super Jolly class;" or -- stretching the buget a bit more -- the HG One. Offhand (again), the SJ class grinders are: Ceado E6 Timer, Ceado E6P, Ceado E6X, Ceado E7 Semiautomatic; Compak K6; Mazzer Mini E Type B; Mazzer Super Jolly; Quamar M80, and Quamar M80E.

The HG One is a manual ("wank the crank") big conic with a grind as good in the cup about as good as any grinder at any price. The HG One is an excellent choice if you want to single dose by weight; but has some other PITA qualities besides the lack of a power cord.

If I were buying a setup for one of my kids, it would be a BDB + Ceado E6P.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

wishbone (original poster)

#6: Post by wishbone (original poster) »

Thanks, everyone, this has helped me clarify my thoughts a bit. I hadn't thought on the Ceado for a grindee. I know the reliability of the BDB is controversial, but if the main concern is the lighter weight frame and the inner components are the same, I'm not that concerned.

From a size perspective (very small kitchen) how does the BDB compare to the 870? Not considering it, but they have those in store at BBB, so I can at least have a size idea.

Should know in a few weeks what incentive ends up being and that will help guide my choice.

damonbowe

#7: Post by damonbowe »

I suggest you get an electric grinder unless you live in a place that experiences blackouts. I like the Vario in this price range, and would only get the more expensive mazzers if you want aesthetics. I'd only get one that is doserless, as a personal preference. I have a lot of trouble adjusting the Mazzers to get the sweet spot of finicky espresso, which is a major bummer for me.

For the machine, Bezzera Mitica. Your budget will be busted up to $2200 with this combo, but it's such a good combo!! If you don't do milk, get a lever.

canuckcoffeeguy

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

If you don't need to steam milk very often, how about:

Vario or HG ONE (depending on appetite for manual grinding)
+
Crossland CC1 or Quickmill Silvano

JmanEspresso

#9: Post by JmanEspresso »

Just to throw it out there, if you dont do milk like, ever. Couple times a year tops, there is the quickmill Alexia.

Its and E61 single boiler machine, and it has the option of getting it with a PID installed from some of the retailers. Id suggest it. For someone who just drinks espresso, I think its a great option. It should be mentioned when you look at the cost of the machine plus the PID, your in the territory of a lot of other machines, including many E61 HXs. As far as espresso goes, the alexia vs the HX machines is a similair debate as the dual boiler vs hx. With the Alexia, you really have to be someone who basically never makes a milk drink. If you drank espresso everyday and made a cappuccino on saturdays, thats even to the point where Id be looking at an HX or a DB.

It defintely has a much smaller market than other machines costing as much or a little more, but I think even though it appeals to a very small group, it does what its meant to do very very well. If you were going to buy say an alex duetto 3, and turn off the steam boiler 360 days out of the year, the alexia will do the same thing for a good deal less money. And in that scenario, that allows you to get a really superb grinder.

All that to say, budget wise, I really like the Breville DB and the Vario combo. Im definitely an espresso guy, but you know what.. being able to say to myself, hey, how about a cappuccino, and all I need to do differently from a normal shot, is get a milk pitcher and Ive got my cappy in less than a minute.. it definitely has caused me to drink more milk drinks than I thought i probably would.