Grinder choice: Rancilio Rocky vs. Cunill Brasil 2008 - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zin1953

#21: Post by zin1953 »

Sue, thread drift aside, let me point out exactly what you don't want to hear: few grinders are at their best grinding across the range of espresso-to-press pot . . . most espresso grinders are just that: they are designed to grind for espresso. Can they grind coarse enough for drip or press pot? Probably, but there is a noticeable drop-off in quality, and even with a Mazzer Mini or Super Jolly, and even if you "mark" somehow the setting you had for espresso before you switch to press, dialing it back in for espresso is not as simple as "switching it back to 'three'."

My advice is that IF you can keep your current grinder for press/drip, do it and focus on a grinder for espresso. As others have said, between the two you mention, I'd definitely go for the Cunill. OTOH, were you to find a used Mazzer Super Jolly, you probably would never have to upgrade for the rest of your life -- just get new burrs . . .

And finally, if you do need only one grinder, you may want to seriously look at the Baratza Vario. It's too new of a machine to have lots of "real world" users yet, but it is reported to be easy to switch from coarse to fine settings, has the ability to remember the settings, and is available from Chris' Coffee at a 10% discount -- bringing it under $400. (I know that's under $350, but at least it splits the different between "regular" retail and your budget.) BUT you would be a "guinea pig" . . .

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

doubleOsoul

#22: Post by doubleOsoul »

Jason,
Always like your concise thoughts that you offer up on this board. :)
I landed a never-been- used Cunill Brasil off Ebay last week for $107. I just couldn't pass it up. I've done the Rocky thing so I am looking for a different experience. I know it won't be my dream grinder but will be my grinder for now. I hope to post to this thread at a later date with results. I still feel a dedicated grinder for the french press /drip is important. Heck, get a $65 PeDe hand grinder. I use that and love it. (I also have the Mokka PeDe which I have pulled the best bottomless PF shots of my personal espresso days). Just my penny thought.

HB
Admin

#23: Post by HB »

zin1953 wrote:Baratza Vario... is reported to be easy to switch from coarse to fine settings, has the ability to remember the settings
It has three timers you can program (e.g., 10 seconds for espresso, 20 for drip, 30 for press), but there's no provision for "remembering" the grind setting, unless you consider marking the scale with a grease pencil a new and innovative memory aid. :wink:
Dan Kehn

Sue (original poster)

#24: Post by Sue (original poster) »

Hello again, I'm the one who posted the initial question on this thread last week. After a lot of reading, hours really, we've decided. Most of you will probably be disappointed, but money is what it comes down to and not out doing our current espresso machine with a monster grinder. Thanks to the reader who offered to customly refurbish a SJ for me! We've decided to go with a $140 Capresso Infinity Burr grinder for now based on two things, price, size and noise, it claims to be the quietest. Had these not been an issue, we would've chanced a Cunill even though it's 75 decibels (too loud) it looks great or Vario, although it seems complicated. The SJ's just won't fit our kitchen. In the future, when we upgrade our espresso machine we'll shop all over again, who knows what will be out there.
Thanks so much to everyone's input and help. I've learned a lot. I'll be poking my head around here off and on as time permits to glean tips from you all.
Cheers!
~Sue

PS At that future time when I upgrade it all, I do see the benefit of having more than one grinder rather than expecting one grinder to do it all! :idea:

zin1953

#25: Post by zin1953 »

Sue wrote:Most of you will probably be disappointed, but money is what it comes down to and not out doing our current espresso machine with a monster grinder.
Disappointment has nothing to do with it! Don't worry about that . . . but (also) don't forget that it's the grinder, not the machine.
Sue wrote:We've decided to go with a $140 Capresso Infinity Burr grinder . . .
Let us know how that works. . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

cafeIKE

#26: Post by cafeIKE »

Sue wrote:PS At that future time when I upgrade it all, I do see the benefit of having more than one grinder rather than expecting one grinder to do it all! :idea:
You can reduce your misery by wasting a bit of the money saved on the grinder by purging the grinder when changing settings. Either shop-vac it clean or run about 3-4 seconds of coffee to clear the alternate grind.

Additionally, if using for both press and espresso, you probably want to load the hopper with only as much 'press roast' as you intend to grind. If the grinder is clear, you can change the grind to fine while running on empty.

another_jim
Team HB

#27: Post by another_jim »

The Infinity is a nice grinder, and it retails for $99 in the plastic version. It is quiet, but no quieter than the Rocky or Brazil. It will not grind (for long) for a commercial 58mm espresso machine, nor may it work with a non-restrictor portafilter on the Saeco/Starbucks machines. It is designed for and will work for the Saeco/Starbucks machines with the stock restrictor PF.
Jim Schulman

Sue (original poster)

#28: Post by Sue (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:it retails for $99 in the plastic version. It is quiet, but......It is designed for and will work for the Saeco/Starbucks machines with the stock restrictor PF.
We paid $40 more for the stainless steel version as it is several pounds heavier and claimed it provided more muffling, we'll see if it's so or just advertising! We do own the Starbucks Barista Espresso machine........we'll see! If nothing else, it'll be our future 2nd grinder for drip and french and we'll splurge for a dedicated espresso grinder....not this month as taxes are due. :evil: I'd rather grind coffee than pay taxes..... !

Sue (original poster)

#29: Post by Sue (original poster) »

I know this thread is old and dropped, but at least one person asked me for an update after I get my new grinder (it came Saturday). Here it is, I ordered the Stainless Steel Capresso Infininty Burr grinder from Amazon b/c of price, grind flexibility, size, and quietness. I am infinitely happy with my choice on all accounts. It feeds the beans well so I don't even have to stir it to get the beans to grind. The receptacle it falls into is larger than our other one and there is NO static! My first try to grind espresso I assumed I'd need to put it on extra fine, but that was so fine my espresso machine couldn't even work! (Now I need to learn how to make Turkish coffee, as that what this machine can do.) It makes me want to make coffee just so I can use the grinder! I'm very happy with it, although I probably don't know what I'm missing with the higher end models like you all use. It's good for me!
I remember somewhere on this forum was a description of how to tell a good espresso grind, I'll have to hunt it up. I think I tend to grind mine too fine...........good day to you all.
Sue

cafeIKE

#30: Post by cafeIKE »

* Turkish: a powder, like flour.
* Espresso: very fine grained, like 10x sugar
* Drip (fine grind): like fine sand
* Medium Grind (vacuum pots, fast French Press, and cupping): a tad finer than table salt
* Coarse (for slow french press): between table and kosher salt.