Gram Scale Recommendation

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
clynch

#1: Post by clynch »

Hi. I see lots of references to a gram scale but no recommendations. Any suggestions? I can't imagine that one of these scales that go to 11 lbs would be all that accurate when talking 17 grams. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Charlie

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Italyhound »

I really love my $47 hario drip scale (0.1g) and timer. I use it for everything brewed and cupped.

I also have an american weigh 0.1g scale, $9 on amazon. It works just fine too, but only for weighing beans in a small cup. I use it for espresso shots.

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

You don't need super accuracy. Plus or minus 0.25g is good enough for nearly all coffee purposes. As a practical matter which encompasses what's actually available at a reasonable price that translates to 0.1g resolution and 0.2g repeatability.

A lot of people, including me use this one from AWS. It's the perfect size and capacity to have around the machine; with enough capacity to tare the pf before dosing then weigh the dose or tare the empty cup then weigh the yield. A set of batteries will last at least a couple of years in ordinary use.

If you use the scale for every shot, you'll want one which doesn't shut off as quickly. Here's one which is identical to the first, except that it accepts an AC adapter.

If you roast, you might want something sturdier but just as (if not more) accurate by your roaster. I use a My Weigh i2600.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

LaDan

#4: Post by LaDan »

boar_d_laze wrote:You don't need super accuracy. An 0.5g total range is probably good enough for nearly all purposes. As a practical matter which encompasses what's actually available at a reasonable price that translates to 0.1g resolution and 0.2g repeatability.

A lot of people, including me use this one from AWS. It's the perfect size and capacity to have around the machine; with enough capacity to tare the pf before dosing then weigh the dose or tare the empty cup then weigh the yield. A set of batteries will last at least a couple of years in ordinary use.

If you use the scale for every shot, you'll want one which doesn't shut off as quickly. Here's one which is identical to the first, except that it accepts an AC adapter.

BDL
^^^
What that guy said. The 2kg American Weight Scale is fantastic. Large capacity, wide platform (4"), and accurate.

UltramaticOrange

#5: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I dropped and broke my Jennings CJ4000 shortly after an HB meetup (electronics are good, so I must've broken the load cell), and I replaced it with the scale that boar_d_laze linked; it's a good scale and I'm perfectly satisfied with it, but I'll be going back to the CJ4000 when the AWS breaks. There's a few differences between the two, but ultimately, my reasoning is that the Jennings scale was faster to respond. Whether or not that's worth the extra $10 is up to you.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

.1g accuracy is a must for weighing beans. For brewing, you don't need .1g. I have one tiny scale for beans and one for drip.

I use this to weight beans for espresso since it takes up about 2x3" on the counter and never leaves. It's accurate to .1g. Problems include only speed. It's a bit slow (1-2s). http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Medicinal ... scale+gram

I use my hario scale for drip. It has a built in timer, and it perfectly designed. Nothing else comes close. It's accurate to .1g to weight beans, and is less accurate (.5g) when the weight gets greater. The only flaw with this scale is that it is very slow (2-3s). I don't mind, given its plastic beauty, accuracy, and included timer. http://www.hario.jp/pickup.html (Link goes to scale and drip station, but I'm only talking about the scale)
LMWDP #353

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

I've use one of these since I found the rabbit hole. It's small and nice looking as such things go. You'll need to use a small diameter glass to weigh as the numbers are under the top but I find it perfect for coffee. Considerably more money than the same thing in an ugly black plastic box. I think the 600 gram one is probably the right choice, but in theory there is a version that weighs 100 grams at .01 gram resolution

http://www.myweigh.com/glassscale.html

Ira

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

I've got 3 of the no name 2000g (.1g) Ebay scales that I use for espresso, brew & roasting. Paid from $5-$7 shipped for each one & they've all been working fine for several years now. I check the calibration every few months with the weight set that came with my name brand, much more expensive scale that died in less then a year.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000g-x-0-1g-LC ... 53fb8a1f44
LMWDP 267

pacificmanitou

#9: Post by pacificmanitou »

AWS is fine for my purposes. I have a larger bench scale for weighing coffees and brewing, and a smaller pocket scale for shot weights and travel. Both were > $20.
LMWDP #366

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner »

JohnB. wrote:I've got 3 of the no name 2000g (.1g) Ebay scales that I use for espresso, brew & roasting. Paid from $5-$7 shipped for each one & they've all been working fine for several years now. I check the calibration every few months with the weight set that came with my name brand, much more expensive scale that died in less then a year.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000g-x-0-1g-LC ... 53fb8a1f44
I have the same scale except it is the 1000g model, and it has worked well for about 4 years. I have a backup that hasn't seen the light of day yet.
Scott
LMWDP #248