Good espresso machine for steaming small amounts?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Matt_F

#1: Post by Matt_F »

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade from the Gaggia Classic I've been using for the past 5 years. I've just ordered a Macap M2 grinder. I was about to order a Quickmill Andreja but then read somewhere this is perhaps not the best machine for steaming small amounts of milk. Can I please have some suggestions for similarly priced machines good for easily steaming small quantities of milk? Or perhaps an Andreja with a different steam tip would be a good option?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u »

Technique is more important for steaming small amounts of milk than the machine or the steam tip.
You can steam 4 oz of milk on a strada EP if you have the skills to do it.
It will be very quick though. There is reason why a particular machine should be too quick for small amounts of milk ..
Of course you can swap out steam tips if you wish ( some steam tips are better designed then others ) , but youre better of taking advantage of the steam power of the machine you have. I can make silky microfoam with small amounts of milk on my machine with its stock tip. It takes about 15 -20 seconds I think . All in the technique

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#3: Post by [creative nickname] »

Especially for a novice who wants to learn using smaller amounts, I think it will help to have a machine that is less powerful than the pro machines. The Breville Dual Boiler is very good in this respect; it makes good steam, but it is not especially powerful. I also find it quite easy to steam small quantities of milk with my La Pavoni.

Make sure to size the pitcher you use for the amount of milk you wish to seem. The smallest Motta pitchers are very good for macchiatos and cortados.
LMWDP #435

akiley

#4: Post by akiley »

I have had my Quickmill Andreja for 6 years. It's hard enough for a novice to learn to froth well without the added challenge of trying to use a tip that blasts four ounces of milk all over the place. The Andreja is my third machine and after finding the right tip, (I bought about 5 to test) it froths 4 ounces in a 12 ounch pitcher very well indeed. Microfoam is one thing, but microfoam that pours latte art is another thing. You have to put just the right amount of air in the milk. Too little and it pours through the crema, too much and get a big white blob covering the crema. It also has to be conditioned just right to give the art definition. I do well with Pacific Barista soy as well.

I've had a Silvia and I think it's a little harder than the Andrea to froth. Seems to run out of steam early. I didn't use the stock tip on the Silvia either.

I haven't used many other HX machines, but I am very happy my Andreja. ... Aaron

pacificmanitou

#5: Post by pacificmanitou »

closed boiler levers typically won't run ever out of steam, and they're very mild mannered. Most domestic machines have trouble with producing a multitude of drinks in one sitting, however. An older club type or small catering style (strega) will not have this problem, but will cost more, take longer to heat and take up more space. Despite this, many here, myself included, use an unnecessarily large machine based on our consumption level for a variety of reasons; convenience, shot quality, or some amalgam of both.
LMWDP #366

Matt_F (original poster)

#6: Post by Matt_F (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I really do like the look of the Andreja machine - I am thinking I could try the stock tip and if I don't get on with it try a slower/more forgiving tip which will hopefully suit my limited frothing capabilities better!

Aaron, is there a particular steam tip you (or other Andreja owners) can recommend for a novice mainly steaming small qtys milk i.e. Enough milk for one cappuccino?

This is a lot of money for me to spend and I want to feel confident I'll be able to learn to froth good milk with it - my breakfast cappuccino is the most important drink of the day!

Thank you,
Matt

Dooglas

#7: Post by Dooglas »

I am using a Vibiemme HX these days (standard tip), I like the machine and I certainly find a lever E61 to be a very capable machine. On the other hand, I do find it challenging to get good microfoam when steaming small amounts of milk. As you observe, things happen very quickly. My previous Expobar Pulser (with two hole gold tip) was easier to use to produce small to moderate amounts of latte art quality microfoam.

Advertisement
akiley

#8: Post by akiley »

This is the tip I bought for my Andreja. Perfect for 4oz. Gives you about 25 seconds to work.

http://www.espressoparts.com/F_134_2?&search_id=2487106

I also bought a thread adapter for this tip. Espresso parts sells it I think, but I can't find it right now. Just a small thing that steps the threads down so the tip will fit.

Here are a few snaps of my latte art. All 4oz milk/soy in a 6oz shallow cup. I used a 12oz frothing pitcher.
Not pro, but OK. ... Aaron

Matt_F (original poster)

#9: Post by Matt_F (original poster) »

Looks great Aaron, I'd be over the moon to be served a coffee that looked like that! I'm not sure I have the artistic tendencies for latte art but will certainly give it a go if I can get the milk right!

Thanks for your help. I have now ordered an Andreja and hopefully that's the right choice for me, it looks a beautiful machine.

Matt

akiley

#10: Post by akiley replying to Matt_F »

I found the adapter from ChrisCoffee. I would highly recomment that adapter and the tip from espressoparts.com. I can not froth 4 oz milk with the stock Andreja tip. I haven't even had much luck frothing 8oz with it. Also, if you're into soy, the Pacific Barista plain soy blenders make incredible microfoam. I buy a case online for 40 buck. It's comes in those quart containers that keep at room temp for months. At least two of my photos were that soy. You have to put a ton of air in that soy while frothing, where skim milk hardly needs any air.

adapter so you can use about the most common 10mm frothing tips with the Andreja:
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Adapter-Con ... daptor.htm

The best tip for 4oz milk
http://www.espressoparts.com/F_134_2?&search_id=2488042

Have fun with the Andreja! It's really a sweet machine. You will pay it back in a few years by not going to coffee shops as much. ... Aaron