Going the lever route - start cheap or go for broke? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Javier

#11: Post by Javier »

Something else to consider....there is a direct-connect version of the Bezzera Strega that does not have/use a pump. I had one, and it is a fantastic machine usually offered at a least expensive price than the pump version.
LMWDP #115

mathof

#12: Post by mathof »

I guess it comes down to if I think the price of a Pavoni pro is worth it as a mediate/extra machine that I can use and learn with until going the next step.
Bear in mind that much of what you need to learn, and mod, to get good, consistent shots from a La Pavoni is machine specific. You won't need to know how to manage temperature on a small group when you trade up to a prosumer lever machine like the Londinium 1 or the Strega. If I made as many shots and cappuccinos as you do, I'd go straight to one of the bigger machines.

Advertisement
SpaceTime

#13: Post by SpaceTime replying to mathof »

+1 good point.
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

DanoM

#14: Post by DanoM »

Add to that the fact that the La Pavoni, at least my pre-millenium, groups tend to overheat. The Cremina can supposedly be tamed so it is heat stable at the group.

If you have the money, if the opportunity presents, and if you can call a few vendors and get a great deal... Get a Strega or Londinium... Go for broke! I don't think you will regret it if you get one of those great machines or something in a similar class.

I brought up the Lusso, but I think you'll be happier with a Strega or better. At least I like to think I would be happier, and espresso would definitely be more predictable.
LMWDP #445

SpaceTime

#15: Post by SpaceTime »

DanoM wrote:Add to that the fact that the La Pavoni, at least my pre-millenium, groups tend to overheat. The Cremina can supposedly be tamed so it is heat stable at the group.
I will add to that, after putting the Teflon "heat break" gasket between my group head and boiler on my Cremina, group management is more repeatable, predictable and manageable - especially if I leave the machine on. No more being a "slave" to the boiler super heating your group head, and pulling multiple shots in succession without long wait times is easier. The impact of inserting a cold portafilter in the Cremina is much more measurable with the Teflon gasket, and makes the results a little more manageable.

The newer Creminas (2002-2014) come standard with this Teflon gasket, the older Cremina 67's can be easily retrofitted with it, Cerini's sells it as a $15 part. If I had to pick the best $15 investment I have made in my Cremina, this would be it.

Thanks Dano for teeing that up...
If I could just like crappy coffee again, it would sure save a lot of time and money!

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

Yes, and millennium Pavonis can be heat managed very similar to the Cremina. People generalize about la Pavoni home levers but they change a lot over time. Cremina is better build quality if course.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SpaceTime

#17: Post by SpaceTime »

drgary wrote:Yes, and millennium Pavonis can be heat managed very similar to the Cremina. People generalize about la Pavoni home levers but thru change a lot over time. Cremina is better build quality if course.
Yes, and certain somebodies :wink: have proven that all things being equal, coupled with experience, ultimate quality in the cup can be equal between Cremina and Pavoni if all the variables are tended to.

See, I read the archives. :D Levers rock...

Advertisement
2StrokeBloke

#18: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Don't limit your quest to the Strega and L1. Here are some other ideas but not sure what they would be worth in your currency.

Quick Mill Achille is available in two versions (PID and non-PID), and there are four (I think) different options from Groupo Izzo: (Pompei, Nuevo Pompei, PID'd Pompei and the Izzo Alex Leva) as well as the new offering coming from La Marzocco in the near future.

While the Strega strikes me as the bargain of the century compared to the prices of all the others I've mentioned, you might be able to find a good deal on one of these other models. Don't forget to email the Bosco factory itself and see what they'd sell you a single group for.

You are ahead of the game since you don't need to worry about upgrading your grinder situation!

One advantage with the Pavoni's and Cremina's (you haven't mentioned looking at the Arrarex Caravel...) is that due to their smaller size, I consider them able to be taken on a holiday with you... I know the Elektra company sells a 'case' for the MicroCasa a Leva.

Anyhow, you definitely have a dilemma to sort thru! A good place to be!

summer

#19: Post by summer »

Also consider how many shots you want to make, both in a session and on a daily basis.
I make espresso once or twice a day, making 1, 2 or 3 shots. With a quantity this low, I like my Cremina and would not trade it for one of the bigger machines.
My kitchen likes the small footprint and the quick warmup is economical/environmental friendly...

Smokin Joe

#20: Post by Smokin Joe »

2StrokeBloke wrote:Don't limit your quest to the Strega and L1. Here are some other ideas but not sure what they would be worth in your currency.

Quick Mill Achille is available in two versions (PID and non-PID), and there are four (I think) different options from Groupo Izzo: (Pompei, Nuevo Pompei, PID'd Pompei and the Izzo Alex Leva) as well as the new offering coming from La Marzocco in the near future.
Is there somewhere that describes the differences between the various Groupo Izzo Pompei lever machines?