Getting Quickmill Vetrano 2B, worth upgrading Rocky Rancilio?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
LarryJ

#1: Post by LarryJ »

Hi all,

This is my maiden post after lurking for a bit. I hope that my post to the grinder
forum is appropriate.

I have had and loved a La Pavoni. Used it daily. (purchased 1982.) I have used a Rocky (doserless) for the last 6 years.
The Rocky has never failed to deliver. Asking the forum if the Rocky is up to the task of a QM Vetrano?
As I'm going to pull the trigger on the QM tomorrow, if it as advised that I do need to upgrade, now would be a good a time and I will.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
lj

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

Yes, but the driver shouldn't be a new espresso machine, but the fact that you can get a much superior grinder for relatively low cost these days. Low cost in the sense that the grinder will outlive you, so the amortized cost per year is very reasonable.

For instance, if you want a big flat, you could get a Ceado E37S for around $1100 (a screaming bargain, IMHO). Or if you want a big conic and don't mind a little arm work, you could get an HG-1 for just over $1K. As grinders, either of these outclass your Rocky by a huge margin.

As recently as 4 years ago, getting a grinder with the quality of the E37S or the HG-1 would have cost you a lot more.
- John

LMWDP # 577

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv replying to Balthazar_B »

+1 !!!
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

I agree. I have the mentioned grinder and machine. The only comment I have is that the Ceado comes with unseasoned burrs. So it'll be finicky and annoying, as posts on here show, until a couple months after using it. I did a few lbs purge of old beans when I got it but it took a month on top of that too. I like to include this disclaimer and lots of people seem frustrated at first.

I have no complaints with the machine. It's nice and has been a joy ever since I plumbed it with a flojet.

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

LarryJ wrote:The Rocky has never failed to deliver. Asking the forum if the Rocky is up to the task of a QM Vetrano?
lj
On the one hand within it's limitations Rocky is up to the task of decent espresso any espresso machine. I've had a Rocky on my kitchen counter for over a decade, though haven't used it in years. The other hand is indeed there are grinders out there far more adjustable and with potential higher and more consistent shot quality.
Mike McGinness

LarryJ (original poster)

#6: Post by LarryJ (original poster) »

Based on the responses thus far (thanks all) looks like its new grinder time. A word about my Rocky ownership experience..I use the Rocky daily and just grind for one or two lattes. It has never failed. I have done minimal maintenance (Grindz regularly, take apart and clean thoroughly quarterly).
I have read some of the reviews of the Baratza Vario, but the qc sounds suspect.

Is there a grinder out there that is under $1k, reliable and that I don't have to hand turn 100 times to get a decent grind for my a.m. latte?

brianl

#7: Post by brianl »

whole latte love has a bunch of sales that get the ceado E37s close to 1k or just under if you're a good negotiator, ha.

day

#8: Post by day »

I can only speak to what I have read but reading the forumn daily leaves little doubt the grinders under a thousand are pretty noticeably less capable than the caedo above. If I were to purchase a grinder with a 1k budget I would not personally hesitate on the caedo, and I am the kind of guy that spent six months researching how facet angles affect light distribution in cut diamonds, even resulting in a temporary job at a jewelry store as I got to know some local owners during my engagement ring purchase...I research heavily when shopping, but the caedo looks well worth the extra bang for the buck. Just some tips from a looney, I respect others may come to a different conclusion or have hands on experience to the contrary.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by FotonDrv »

brianl wrote:whole latte love has a bunch of sales that get the ceado E37s close to 1k or just under if you're a good negotiator, ha.
+1, especially if you buy the QM from them as well as the grinder; a two for one good price thing :D
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

tegee

#10: Post by tegee »

brianl wrote:whole latte love has a bunch of sales that get the ceado E37s close to 1k or just under if you're a good negotiator, ha.

I have to agree with the Ceado E37S posts above. I researched grinders ad nauseam and came out with a refurb E37S. Has treated me very well for the first month of ownership.

I am not a grinder expert by any means, BUT for $1,035 IMHO it simply can't be beat. I would have to spend 50-70% to get the same in the cup experience. Other than the issue with the SCC, which has been upgraded free of charge and installation was a breeze, it has preformed stellar out of the box. Adjustment took several shots, NOT several lbs of beans and I have been happily using it every day.

FWIW....you can't go wrong for cost, build quality, retention is lower amongst its peers, large flat burrs and in the cup!