Gaggia Classic + Hario Skerton = Bad setup?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

I'm thinking of getting a Gaggia Classic + Skerton for my brother....

I'm also thinking of getting a decent pitcher, tamper and knockbox.....

Do you recommend this as a mid-end setup?
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by emradguy »

That's definitely entry level, but a wonderful gift in my opinion, unless of course, you're ultra-rich and can afford to get him a $3k set-up, without batting an eye.

I would recommend against the Skerton. I suppose some would say that doing the stepless mod will make it an ok choice, but to me, giving someone a manual powered grinder to start off, is not the greatest idea, unless they've expressed an interest in it (and not just gone along with someone else's suggestion). Manual grinders can be (ok, they are) a PIA to dial in, especially for newbies. I really think you'd be better off getting him an electric grinder, such as a refurbished Preciso. I know they cost quite a bit more than a Skerton, but it's a much better choice in my opinion and, to me, can mean the difference in him loving or hating this hobby. If it's just too much money, let him buy his own tamper, pitcher, knock box, etc, and put that part of your budget into the grinder.
LMWDP #748

Mrboots2u

#3: Post by Mrboots2u »

Making espresso with a skerton could be frustrating ..it's stepped and Isn't really designed to be optimal at espresso grid levels...
I'd try and put more money into something ,perhaps a second electric grinder , ibertal mc2 , greaf's can be picked up under 60-£100 and would give you a lot more adjustment , better grind consistency at espresso level and be less arm work .

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

Depending on how much time you have before you want to give these gifts, you might also try and get your hands on a Knock Hausgrind for him to use. These are gorgeous grinders that are very easy to dial in for espresso. The Skerton will be an exercise in frustration, by comparison.
LMWDP #435

takeshi

#5: Post by takeshi »

TheJavaCup77 wrote:Do you recommend this as a mid-end setup?
As indicated above it's not mid end. The Classic is a single boiler entry level machine. Mid end would be in the next tier of machines. That said, it could be good beginner machine if it's suited to your brother. Can't comment on the Skerton as I know nothing about it.

TrlstanC

#6: Post by TrlstanC »

I think that would definitely work, would be a huge step up over most cheap 'espresso' machines, and with good beans and practice he could make some good espresso.

The advice you'll generally hear is to spend money on the grinder first since the "grinder makes the espresso and the machine just adds hot water", which is overselling it a little bit, but is probably on the right track. The Skerton will work, but it only has a couple of adjustment points that work for espresso. Also, it can get old spending a minute or two grinding coffee for every shot of espresso every morning. If you spent less on the machine you could spend more on the grinder and get something like the Baratza Presico or LeLit Pl53, which are both good entry level motorized grinders. (there are also a number of other grinders that are just like the LeLit pl53 with the little 38mm Trespade burr set that's very nice, from a number of manufacturers and retailers)

Gaggia is a good choice for a machine, and they sell many machines that are cheaper than the Classic, that have the same guts (all the important parts) but just have a plastic body instead. I believe the Gaggia Baby is exactly the same as the Classic internally? Gaggia has made a bunch of smaller plastic machines over the years that are all basically the same, and a number of retailers will have them with bundle deals or as refurbs that are good deals.