Gaggia Baby vs. Rancilio Silvia for beginner

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Speed-oh!

#1: Post by Speed-oh! »

I've lurked for a bit and am requesting buying advice from those of you more experienced in the ways of the bean. :)

A few months back I purchased the Breville 820 and returned it (twice, two separate machines same make) for what I suspect was plumbing problems -- water leaving the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm now trying out a Gaggia Baby (couldn't find the classic in town) but am considering upgrading to the Rancilio sooner rather than later. I'm not happy with how the Gaggia issues hot water (counter intuitive to me, and doesn't feel especially safe) but I can cope with that and just put the kettle on for my husband's Americano.

I am still learning how to get shots I'm happy with, and moving away from the Breville dual wall filter has already helped. Already after a few days with the Gaggia my shots have a more robust taste. That said, part of me regrets not going with the Rancilio right off the bat, I am not loving the feel of the Gaggia quite yet.

Should I stick with the Gaggia? I guess I'm wondering if someone who is new to doing her own shots will notice the difference between two mid-range machines. I can squeak the Rancilio into the budget, but do better tools matter to an amateur? Given that I had to look up what PID stands for, should I back away from the machine?

You will ask, I'm sure, about my grinder. I'm embarrassed to say that at this point I'm still buying pre-ground for pump from a very nice roaster in town. I have read several helpful threads on this site about grinders to consider, and will likely move in that direction sometime in the next six months or so.

If I have missed threads that answer my questions, please forgive me, I don't mean to be tedious! :D

Update: thanks again for all your sage words. :) I've been buying smaller and smaller batches of coffee as I'm increasingly noticing that the freshness of the grind is as important as you've all told me.

I've been researching grinders and was happily about to order the Le'Lit pl53, only to discover it isn't available in Canada. So this leads to a question -- or several really. I fear a hand grinder would drive me up the wall. Should I just bite the bullet and pick up a Rocky or a Simonelli Grinta even though they're a good hundred more than I wanted to spend? I'm just not seeing many great options between 2 and 3 hundred CDN. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

roastaroma

#2: Post by roastaroma »

Ciao Michelle,

To keep it brief: If you like the Gaggia, stick with it. And Get a Grinder. That's the biggest single improvement you can make.

Happy Brewing,
Wayne
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

weasel

#3: Post by weasel »

I second Wayne. Spend your money on a grinder, the machine is probably fine. Fwiw, Silvia is more temperamental.

I recently saw a quote which I will now try not to butcher. Something to the effect of 'grinders make espresso, espresso machines just push hot water through coffee at about 9 bars pressure'.

Also, two time US Barista champ Heather Perry and many other espresso experts have said you will make better espresso with a $300 machine and a $400 grinder, than a $600 machine and a $100 grinder.

Upgrade the grinder now, when the time comes for a machine upgrade you'll already have a capable grinder at the ready.

Speed-oh! (original poster)

#4: Post by Speed-oh! (original poster) »

Thanks kindly Jim and Wayne. Small bit of synchronicity, I had just watched the Heather Perry videos. :)

A grinder hmm? I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a diving board, higher than my comfort level. Time to read some reviews!

I think in hindsight that I posted in part because I'm disappointed with the Gaggia and was looking for upgrade validation. haha, such is life.

weasel

#5: Post by weasel »

Consider the upgrade validated.....just not the machine. I guess I should have included this link last time.

https://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/howto ... ssomachine

Fantastic article by Mark Prince at Coffeegeek. Great info, if you want to keep the reading short just read sections 1 and 2. Enjoy the journey.

Speed-oh! (original poster)

#6: Post by Speed-oh! (original poster) »

Thanks Jim for the link. I am familiar with the CG site, but hadn't made it further than the consumer reviews. Great article, cheers. :)

zin1953

#7: Post by zin1953 »

Remember, the grinder is more important than the machine . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Worldman

#8: Post by Worldman »

Alas...'tis true: "The grinder is more important than the machine." Too bad, too, since the machine is the "sexy" apparatus and the grinder is pretty mundane.

Still, what is REALLY sexy is pulling a shot of thick, gloppy espresso and this will only be possible with a proper grinder. That, plus fresh roasted beans properly tamped will allow you to achieve the tiger striping and uber crema which are the keys to espresso Nirvana.

Len, a.k.a. Worldman
Len's Espresso Blend

Psyd

#9: Post by Psyd »

Speed-oh! wrote: A grinder hmm? I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a diving board, higher than my comfort level. Time to read some reviews!
Come on in, the water is fine!

Grinders make espresso, espresso machines just heat water and push it through the puck.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

weasel

#10: Post by weasel »

Ahh! There's the quote. Doesn't look like I butchered it too badly. :wink: