First Espresso Machine: PID Rancilio Silvia or Nuova Simonelli Oscar?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
iCarumba

#1: Post by iCarumba »

Hi im from Indonesia ... and this is my first post.

I didnt want to register at first but I really need some confirmation before i pull a trigger on one of these machine. Weeks of research have led me to these two machines, PID silvia and NS Oscar. I've done my research but both have their plus and minus. I like the OSCAR for the steaming power, no doubt it will be very convenient if I froth my milk daily. The only thing that bother me is the lack of OPV in the OSCAR. Without the OPV the pressure on the brewhead is 16 bar according to some video I saw on youtube. This is beyond the proper pressure range to make an espresso 9 ± 1 bar (131 ± 15 psi). I think PID silvia will make better espresso. I really need confirmation on this.

I know i can add OPV in the oscar but i have decided that i will not go beyond PID Silvia or NS Oscar (without the upgrade) ... at this time.

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

Welcome!
If you haven't already done so, make sure you get a decent grinder, which in general is the first condition for espresso-making for whatever machine you choose. The more money you spend on your machine, the sooner the grinder becomes the limiting piece of hardware.
I think PID silvia will make better espresso.
They are two different animals. The Silvia being a SBDU machine with a relatively small thermal reservoir is more prone to temperature swings. I reckon a PID wil be an improvement, but only within Silvia's limitations; there is still likely to be a steep learning curve before you get consistent shots.
The Oscar, being a HX, has a far bigger thermal reservoir and I expect will inherently be more temperature consistent, once you figure out the cooling flush routine that works best. When it comes to consistency in your shot quality, my bet is that that will outweigh the fact that your brew pressure may be somewhat higher than the famous 9 bar.
Bert

LukeFlynn

#3: Post by LukeFlynn »

I had both, I much preferred the Oscar to the Silvia w/PID.. Even the base Oscar (unmodded) is more forgiving than the Silvia W/PID in my experience. Was great for straight espresso, and the La Marzocco steam tip I had on mine rivaled even commercial machines.

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

No question between those 2 I'd go the Oscar.
Mike McGinness

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

You may also want to consider the new version of the Oscar, the Oscar II: http://www.nuovasimonelli.it/en/prodott ... ii-en.html
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

DanoM

#6: Post by DanoM »

I've never used a Silvia, but I did have an Oscar for over a year and really liked the machine. Mine was purchased in need of repair after 10 years of use due to lack of maintenance, but it's a simple system and easy to work on. I ran it stock and never had a problem with the lack of OPV once I figured out my PF load. Run a flush before your shots and you'll have the group at a good temp for the pull. You can steam while pulling shots too.

If you want hot water from the system, and don't want to take that from the group just put water in a steaming pitcher and steam it until to your desired temperature.

NS Oscar is a very capable machine in the right hands.

Just remember to get a good grinder and you should be happy.
LMWDP #445