First cheap grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
rubbert094

#1: Post by rubbert094 »

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site but right now I am looking to upgrade from my cheap black decker blade grinder.

I looked around the site and amazon and am interested in the hario skerton grinder but I've also seen some negative reviews about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Right now I mostly use the siphon and hario v60, but am thinking about getting an aeropress or a moka pot.

Also, I am a college student who's kinda low on funds so something like the barazta vario is out of my range.

Thank!

Burner0000

#2: Post by Burner0000 »

If your using the Skerton for drip, press and siphon it's not a bad grinder. If you include the OE PFP mod it improves course grind quality immensely. If your busy you should look at the Encore. Has more than enough room for drip, press and siphon brew. I own the Skerton with the mod and have used the Encore in the past. Both produce nice grounds for good coffee.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#3: Post by Intrepid510 »

Buy the burr stablizer from Orphan Espresso, and you will have a good grinder for a cheap price. Just make sure you don't have to grind too much because anything more than 20 g will become a big pain the butt. If you want mortorized go with a Steel Infinity or Encore.

gashuebr

#4: Post by gashuebr »

Also take note that there is a Skerton clone (I'm not identifying the Kyocera branded grinder) out there selling on Amazon for about half the price, but it is seriously deficient in several regards.

happycat

#5: Post by happycat »

I have an Encore and though I messed around with it a lot, it really wasn't that great for any coffee I made. Coffee was always overextracted.

I bought a gently used Bunn G1. Granted it's big and heavy but the result is way better for syphon, aeropress, chemex, etc.

I am not suggesting you go get one, but buying a used grinder may make a lot of sense for you.
LMWDP #603

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Scott
LMWDP #248

Burner0000

#7: Post by Burner0000 »

happycat wrote:I have an Encore and though I messed around with it a lot, it really wasn't that great for any coffee I made. Coffee was always overextracted.

I bought a gently used Bunn G1. Granted it's big and heavy but the result is way better for syphon, aeropress, chemex, etc.

I am not suggesting you go get one, but buying a used grinder may make a lot of sense for you.
Have you tried re calibrating internally for course?
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Advertisement
unix04

#8: Post by unix04 »

If you live in the US, Crate&Barrel sell the encores at $129, but they often have 10~15% coupons that you can use towards your purchase and should be free shipping.