Finding Portafilter Stand Compatible with my Portafilter(s)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zanderfy

#1: Post by Zanderfy »

So I've been really impressed with my Lucca M58, including the heft of the portafilters that come with it. However, this heft/size comes at a price: the portafilters (mostly spouted) is just too large for the Hario scale I have. It makes weighing a chore; I have to balance it just right.

So I've been using my Google-fu to find something that works. "Portafilter Stand/Cradle/Holder," "Tamping/Tamper Station," etc. While the products exist, I'm just not sure they'll work with my portafilters, given the unique nature of the spouts/sloped design. I want something that can hold the basket-end in place and level, for both a bottomless and spouted portafilter. It's not imperative I can actually tamp in it.

Are there things I can/should measure? Anyone have any experience? Would love to hear some others' ideas.

Bret

#2: Post by Bret »

I don't have one of these yet, but have my eye on getting one sometime (they have four versions, with size specs, scroll down a bit):

http://lynweber.com/store/

I wouldn't use it with a scale, because I stopped weighing my dose in the portafilter: I noticed with my scale that the accuracy shifted from 0.1 G to 1G once the weight got high enough. If I weighed my dose before grinding, then again in the portafilter, I was getting large discrepancies.

Zanderfy (original poster)

#3: Post by Zanderfy (original poster) replying to Bret »

Thanks for the link, Bret. I already had a chance to look at that; while cool, it's somewhat expensive (what isn't in this hobby?) and I want to be able to use it over a scale.

Semi-related, I found a cool trick with my scale. If you put the portafilter on before turning on the scale, it will technically auto-tare the weight of the portafilter once turned on. I've found (again, with my scale, YMMV) that then adding coffee to the portafilter retains the 0.1g resolution.

rockethead26

#4: Post by rockethead26 »

Why don't you weigh in the basket without the PF?

#5: Post by Zanderfy (original poster) replying to rockethead26 »

The most salient reason I purchased a K30 Vario was to grind directly into a portafilter; that's what it's designed to do. I'd prefer not to juggle baskets, if it can be helped.

bmb

#6: Post by bmb »

I believe you're a looking for something like this:

http://forum.clubedocafe.net/index.php? ... ntry158294

The Brazilian Bravo has the advantage of the PF leveling gizmo over the ECM, and I think it's also cheaper.

#7: Post by Zanderfy (original poster) replying to bmb »

A thousand yes', Bernardo. That's precisely what I'm looking for.

The next question is, how can I get one? I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing's happening :P

Ellejaycafe

#8: Post by Ellejaycafe »

Zanderfy wrote:Thanks for the link, Bret. I already had a chance to look at that; while cool, it's somewhat expensive (what isn't in this hobby?) and I want to be able to use it over a scale.

Semi-related, I found a cool trick with my scale. If you put the portafilter on before turning on the scale, it will technically auto-tare the weight of the portafilter once turned on. I've found (again, with my scale, YMMV) that then adding coffee to the portafilter retains the 0.1g resolution.
I noticed this as well. I use the Hario as a back for when I forget to charge my Acaia and this knowledge makes that possible. You can trick the scale into giving you .1g resolution as long as it's under 500 grams (I think it's 500) anyway. They really should include this in the intrustctions. Wouldn't matter because I can't read Japanese :lol:

For a cheap fix, until you find something, you could always use a large Tupperware lid, flip it over, use it as a surface.
LMWDP #544

#9: Post by Zanderfy (original poster) »

Ellejaycafe wrote:I noticed this as well. I use the Hario as a back for when I forget to charge my Acaia and this knowledge makes that possible. You can trick the scale into giving you .1g resolution as long as it's under 500 grams (I think it's 500) anyway. They really should include this in the intrustctions. Wouldn't matter because I can't read Japanese :lol:
Great minds, haha!

I was also looking into getting one of those Acaia heat-proof mats...they have a little corner that can be turned up to hold the portafilter handle. I had hoped to find a mat locally either sold by itself/used, but no dice.

ecuew

#10: Post by ecuew »

In the meantime why not rest the portafilter handle, around midway, on something? Maybe start with a spare basket?